Suspension Brakes Strut Brace/Sway Bar Installation

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by borv, Sep 5, 2011.

1. borv

borv New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm considering purchasing a strut brace for my 2011 MCS, and was wondering if this is a DIY type of mod. Does the car need to be lifted? Or Can I install it myself in my driveway?

thanks!

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    That depends, since your title mentions two different things.

If you mean a strut tower brace, the thing that bolts to the top of the strut towers with a bar that runs between them, it's one of the easiest things you can do. Remove 6 nuts, install the brace, put the bolts back on and torque correctly, done. Some bars are adjustable to allow you to pre-load, which is another simple step done after it's installed, but instructions that come with the bar should explain how you do that.

A sway bar is at least a couple more notches up on both the level of effort and mechanical ability meters. Still possible as a DIY but quite a bit more effort. Are you talking about front, rear, or both?

3. borv

borv New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Right now I'm looking at the JCW strut brace that goes across the 2 strut towers in the front.

I'm looking to get a bit more stiffness and less body roll in the twists, and I'm hoping the strut brace will help.

Do you know what difference exists between a strut brace and a non-adjustable sway bar in the front?

I'll be doing the rear later on.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    #4 Crashton, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
    From what I have seen I would recommend an MN strut brace over the JCW. It is DIY-able. The car does not have to be lifted. Be careful tightening down the nuts. Too much torque will snap the studs on the strut.

Best bang for the buck IMHO is a rear swaybar. It being DIY-able depends on your skill level. Yes the car needs to be lifted for the install.

I buy all my MINI parts from Aaron at Outmotoring. Great guy to deal with... :Thumbsup:

NM Engineering mini cooper clubman upper stress bar

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/nm_engineering_mini_cooper_clubman_swaybar.html

5. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Strut bar does help, a lot of folks say it is cosmetic, I believe it helps if your are somewhat aggressive in the twisties. Simple to install, as noted.

I would not mess with the front sway bar, get a 3 hole adjustable 19mm rear bar for your MINI. Install is DIY, I would suggest a lift or at least 4 jack stands if you have them.

Run your bar in the middle until you figure out how much rotation you can control in aggressive corners or if you AutoX.

Enjoy... Don :)

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'm sure the strut bar helps some, how much is up for debate. Bang for the buck a RSB is the place to start. I have a 19mm & wish I'd gone with a 22mm.

7. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    The front strut tower brace is really an easy DIY, if you can't do that don't consider other work on your car. I suggest the new NM brace for the 2011, it has been changed slightly for the 2011.

8. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    I picked up a Strut tower brace this weekend from another owner.
    Two questions:
    1. I don't want to snap the stud. What is the appropriate torque for the nuts?

2. It looks as though the thickness of the bracket on the brace will cause the nut not to have full thread engagement. I was considering switching to a different nut that did not have the captive flange and just use a thinner steel washer. Anyone have a comment in this?

9. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    The NM strut bar comes with different bolts so you get proper engagement. Maybe you did not get those from the seller.

10. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    Correct I did not get any fasteners. My towers have threaded "studs" with nuts on top. Are the studs removable? I should have mentioned my car is an R56.

11. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I don't think replacing the studs is an option. I believe they're attached to the strut top mount plate.

For the torque specs we need someone to jump in here who has a second gen Bentley manual.

12. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Its 25foot pounds on the R53 and you need the proper nuts if it is like the JCW SB.

13. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: With only the front strut tower brace, I didn't notice that much difference. However, when I added the rear strut tower brace, things really tightened up. The purests would jump all over me for calling it that. "It's not any where near the rear strut tower. It's a rear body brace." Yeah okay, whatever.:Thumbsup:

Jason

14. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Warning this contains a SWAG

Is the strut bar an NM?

As far as torque goes I did not use a a torque wrench for those. After years of wrenching one can feel it. If you feel you need to torque those then use a torque wrench thos studs will break easily. It is not much torque. My Guess is maybe 15# or so. Use that spec at your own peril.

15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    OK.... Here ya go....
    The OEM M8 collar nuts to the stock upper strut bearing studs..... According to Bentley.....34Nm or 25 ft-lb......:D

16. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    EXCELLENT !!! Thank you so much! I was guessing they were M8 size. The calibration sticker on my elbow fell off a while ago... :D ....so I like to use a torque wrench ....which is calibrated.

Paul

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

:lol:

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I use a torque wrench where needed. My elbow while calibrated 10 pounds light has served me well. over the years.... :beer

19. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I had a strut brace on my MC years ago. When I installed it I used a torque wrench and followed their specified torque settings exactly.....and snapped off a stud putting on the first nut.

I called the company (who I won't name). The owner was concerned and after looking into it called me back right away to say they accidentally reversed the math when they converted Nm to ft-lb for the instruction sheet. To their credit, they repaired the damage without complaint. We both learned a valuable lesson.....and I bought a Bentley Manual. :Thumbsup:

20. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    #20 BRG_Paul, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2012
    :) :)