Suspension Brakes Steering & Wheel Alignment

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Metalman, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    OK, been digesting the Bentley manual in preparation for the Swift spring replacement. Total drop should be about only 1/2". I plan on getting a new alignment after the install.

So here is the question.....
    The Bentley manual says that MINI's with DSC should use the MINI scan tool to adjust the steering angle sensor.

I'm going to bet your typical neighborhood alignment shop isn't doing this step or even setting up the MINI recommended "Normal loaded position", which requires.... 150 pounds in each seat moved to the middle track position, 150 pounds centered in the back seat and 37.5 pounds in the boot with a full tank of gas. For that matter, I'll bet the dealership doesn't do this step???

So.....how critical is the adjusting of the steering sensor for the DSC using the MINI scan tool? Is this more for the likelihood that the front suspension maybe took a big hit with a chuck hole and is a step to just bring the DSC back into specification? And since I haven't taken a hit, can I most likely ignore this DSC adjustment?

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Man Chuck all those nanny's do is cause trouble. I'll come over with my linemans pliers & get rid of that for you. :wink:

From what I have observed that step is never done by folks who drop their cars a bit & have an alignment. Although I am not positive. :crazy:

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I would have to say its never done. If you bring it to MINI they send out the alignments so it's still not getting done.

I think it would ok without checking as you've had no problems in the front end.

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Had mine aligined by the dealer, after lowering springs and the car was all messed up. Took it to an independent shop (like Way & Chad) and all was fine.

Jim

5. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Hey Chuck, do you have the JCW suspension currently? Are you just changing the springs?

Interested to see the difference if the above was your set up.

6. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #6 Metalman, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
    Nope on the JCW suspension..... the stock dampers still have the oem sticker on the tube and it says "Sport". The new Swift springs are "progressive rate" springs (the oem aren't), so I should have a smoother ride. Also have the IE fixed camber plates that are going in as well.....:D
    Here is a pic of the Swift Springs.... Left spring is the rear, the right spring is the front.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

IE fixed camber plate...
    [​IMG][/IMG]

7. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    The JCW shocks will say JCW not sports. I had the sports on mine then installed the JCW suspension. Also the JCW springs are red.

8. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Mine aren't red but black so no on the JCW suspension then.....

So there must have been three types......regular, sport and JCW?

9. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Yes there were three. I ordered mine with the sports set up and later changed to JCW, big difference. I'm interested to see how much difference will be between JCW springs and Swift with stock (JCW) dampers.

10. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    My alignment guy put sand bags in one side, then in the other, then both. No change to the alignment. It only matters if you're doing a corner balance.

11. Onasled Racing

Onasled Racing New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The sensor is on the steering column so as long as the steering wheel is kept straight, as it absolutely should then the sensor stays the same. So, the sensor is a non factor in any suspension changes or tuning as long as all is done correctly.