Suspension Brakes H sport rear control arm creaking

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by maacodale, Jul 27, 2013.

1. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Anyone else have H sport rear control arms that creak? I've got them on the 07 MCS and the 09 Clubman. Th e07 has a creak I can't get rid of. Even with a good greasing. I've done bolt checks and anything else I can think of. Anybody else have this issue?

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I've had them on my last 2 MINI's with no creaking issues. Have you removed them and checked if they are binding?

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    #3 Crashton, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    No binding with mine either, but mine have only been on a short time. Are you sure it is the H Sport arms? Could be the swaybar or end links.

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Never seen one of these arms creak.... real easy to mistake where sounds are coming from back there, I've done it before myself... If I had lubed the heck outta it and the sound persisted, I would assume the sound was coming from elsewhere. But, FWIW, I've never had to lube one of them, either.

5. maacodale

May 7, 2009
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Pretty sure it's the LCA. I had one of my techs bounce the car and while holding onto the arm you can actually feel the vibes of the creeking. Tomorrows agenda is to drop everything and check it out. Our Clubbie and the same ALTA rear bar and links and H sport control arms. Bewildered, but should know more tomorrow. Thanks guys!

6. maacodale

May 7, 2009
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Okay, took me a few days to find some free time. Pulled both H sport LCA off and cleaned and lubed the ends where they meet the crossmember and the rear trailing arms. Also re greased the zerk fittings in both arms. Still have a massive creaking. Doing a nut and bolt check this week. Got me stumped so far.

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Well at least you can cross those off the list. I'd look at the swaybar, bushings & links. Also check that the rear hatch is not loose at the striker & the rubber snubbers.

8. maacodale

May 7, 2009
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Yea, damnit. The sons new Roadster had almost the same sound and found it to be a loose sway bar bracket. Once tightened the sound went away. I did check my sway bar brackets and they're tight. Thinking shocks maybe, but doubt it. For sure not the hatch. I have the hatch opened and push up and down on the rear body sill plate. Kinda stumped.

9. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Had the same kind of sound that stumped me for weeks. I finally removed the rear shocks and found the top nut had become loose. Another time I had a noise in the rear and found the jamb nut on one of my Hotchis adjustable lower rear control arms had backed off letting the arm flex. Just a couple of ideas.

10. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    On my personal 05 MCS, I have had to loc-tite the jam nuts on both sides to get rid of the creaking, along with what I consider over torqueing those nuts. The noise IS coming from the arms in the center where the adjustor is. I have done the "feel" test and know exactly what you are talking about. I have also had one customer car with the same issue-was easier to fix the second time!

11. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Had to loctite one of my control arm nuts to keep it snug, also.

12. maacodale

May 7, 2009
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the clues. That was it! I haven't had time to play with the MINI for a bit, but sure as anything, the jamb nut had backed off a bit. Grabbed a wrench, threw a bit of elbow grease at it and went for a test drive. Noise gone.

Time to enjoy the MINI again. Quietly!

Thanks again guys!

13. Eric_Link

Eric_Link New Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the thread I just ran into this same thing with my hsports. Lock nuts had backed off. Tightened things up, if they back off again I'll use some lock tite.

https://goo.gl/photos/Dj1z7u4pwmJ2kRHLA