Suspension Brakes What Spring Rates do you run? Considering Koni Coilovers, Fortune 500, TSW or GC

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Spade, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    This is aimed at autocrossers but anyone is welcome to share their knowledge.

From what I've seen, a lot of people run square set ups and some even stiffer front.

This is new to me as my previous FWD car was an RSX. Stock spring rates were 284F/414R and the general rule was make the rear 75-100% stiffer than front.

Now I'm leaning towards the Koni Coilovers here
    MINI Cooper KONI Coilover Kit
    Due to price and brand. But I don't know the spring rates, and don't see anywhere that I can order custom ones

Alternatively, to be in the know I may go with Fortune Auto 500's.
    Fortune Auto 500 Series Generation 4 Coilovers | HorsepowerFreaks
    Off the shelf rates are 6K/4K but I would definitely raise the rear rate to 6 minimum.

I am considering just getting Koni yellows and running springs or sleeves.
    I didn't see ground control offering these on their site but they are here on HPF
    Ground Control Coilovers | HorsepowerFreaks
    I assume custom rates can be ordered but don't see the option

The only regular springs I like are the TSW
    TSW MINI Performance Springs R56 - R55 - R57 - Way Motor Works
    Since their rates are supposed to be linear and it gives just enough drop. But what are they?

If you have none of the aforementioned please let us know what you're running and how well its working

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The the Koni's coil overs are garbage for the Mini. I had them and hated them the springs coil bind and it takes for ever to get new ones.

I switched to the KW V2's that WMW sells and replaced the KW spring after a year with Swifts 400 lbs front and 450 lbs rears and now the suspension is perfect.

Remember you always get what you pay for so don't buy cheap. I like the KW V2 with Swift Springs and they are very good versus buying a set of JRZ's or AST's with Swift springs which would run about 5K when all said and done.

If you are buying suspension parts for performance and not just parking at car shows buy quality over price. Anything can look cool but a track or autocross event will quickly show the difference in quality and price.

Good luck with your project, have fun and keeps updated.

3. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I have AST 5100's. They're great...very pricey...DaveO has that right. His combo of the Kw'1 with Swift's is what I'm considering for my other Mini DDver I'm considering.

I also run Swift Springs. Read up on them...they're different. The other forum has a couple of detailed threads from a few years ago that convinced me. I will only run Swift's from now on. I run 450's in the front and 350's in the rear. May put the extra 450's in the rear later this year...trying to manage DDing ride with handling. So far this combo is doing pretty good for me.

If I do the new DDver I'll likely move to some stronger Swift's for the GreyLenz and move this combo to the KW's on the new Mini.

Consider posting a thread on your experiences with Autox in the Autox section...

What class are you running in?

4. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Not sure what class I'll go in as suspension will determine it.

Most people cheat in Equipe Rapide and there are no RT classes in Gulf Coast (there's no more local SCCA) so I kind of want to run RTF then be somewhat competitive in STX when I go to Ft. Myers.

I should have mentioned that I have a Miata as well so the Mini isn't my main autocross car.

Because Race Daily

Now would anyone happen to know the rates on the TSW springs?

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #5 Dave.0, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
    Now would anyone happen to know the rates on the TSW springs?

TSW is owned by Way of WMW so you may be able to search his site and find out.

Or search the NAM for those spring and you may find an old thread by TSW with the Specs.

I know the TSW KW coil over spring rates are nothing special. The rates are 336 lbs at all four corners and that's why I replaced them with Swifts. 400 f / 450 r

I think you are looking for something like this.
    http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EM&Product_Code=SWIFT-4X902R

6. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    oooh these seem nice.

But Spring rates are kind of on the soft side no?

4.5/5.5 = 251/307

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I have the Swift SPEC-R Sport Springs with my stock OEM Sport dampers.... Love them...

But they aren't designed for Coilovers....

You need to consider this selection of Swift springs that are designed for coilovers.... Which will allow you to tune the spring rate to your needs...
    I also got mine through Evasive Motorsports.... Great price... They place the order with Swift and they are drop shipped to you....
    Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: Swift Coilover Springs (Set of 4) - Custom fitted

8. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    #8 jasonsmf, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
    On my STX MINI, I'm running 336f/500r on off the shelf Koni sports. A huge improvement over the TSW springs I was previously running (200 f and r is the published rate I had seen).
    I picked my rates knowing that my car will still be seeing street duty. Just came back from the Toledo Pro Solo, my first big event with this setup, the car felt really good but I think a "perfect" setup would probably go a bit higher in rear rate.

Jason

9. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yes I realized that its a regular lowering spring. I'd get Koni yellows with them if I go that route.

Now this is what I was expecting. 336 = 6K if I'm not mistaken.

If I go Fortune 500 I'd probably go with 6K/8K

And 200 all around seems quite soft. Not getting those if that's the case. They said rate was higher in rear than front in description.

But I'll call in morning since the Contact us thing is impossible.

10. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    [ame=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swift-Spec-R-Lowering-Sport-Springs-Mini-Cooper-07-4X902R-jdm-/200936226723?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec8bb7fa3&vxp=mtr]Swift Spec R lowering Sport Springs Mini Cooper 07 4X902R JDM | eBay[/ame]

Here's the cheapest place I've found Spec R springs. They're black not light blue. Guessing the light blue was just a generic pic...?

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Yes... The Spec R springs are painted black...

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  13. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yea I think the blue is for 2.5" or 2.25" Swift springs made for coilovers. but black for specific to Mini lowering springs.

14. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Here they are
    Swift Springs USA

So R53 the were 5K/5.5K

and R56 are 4.5K/5.5K.

I wonder why the change.

15. Agbullet25

Agbullet25 Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Central Texas
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
  16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I believe so, plus its a TOP Quality spring, and weighs less. (Less coils):Thumbsup:

17. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    #17 Spade, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    I'm not sure which one to believe.

If you look at the link I posted it says 28MM front 25MM rear which should be perfect.

Outmotoring got back to me (sort of) with the Koni coilovers. They said rates are about 350 all around. But I'm turned off by the first reply and not having stiffer rate in rear.

However, if springs are the only issue I'd consider just getting 500s for the rear.

18. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well I talked to a guy at WMW and he won't say the spring rates on TSW's. Said that other's would try to copy it.

He was a nice guy but seems a bit paranoid.

He was suggesting the Megans to get camber plates up front. To my knowledge we'd barely get 1 degree w/o them. But I don't like that the front is stiffer than rear. Not sure if I could just switch the springs around.

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ugh! The TSW Spring rates are 336 lbs. for all four corners. This is a known FACT if you search M/A or the NAM for the info from TSW before WMW bought the company.

I also know for a fact the WMW/TSW springs are soft because I have a set on my car and have replaced the soft 336 lbs TSW springs with my Swift spring combo posted above.

Nobody is going to copy the TSW springs they are not that good.

One more word of advice I would avoid anyone that is trying to sell you a Megan product.

20. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    While on the phone I'm thinking: yea I haven't seen actual broken Megan coilovers but more than half the time Megan is mentioned, its in a negative way.