Suspension Brakes JCW Aftersale Suspension opinions/thoughts

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by JeffInDFW, Jul 12, 2014.

1. JeffInDFW

JeffInDFW New Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am not looking for comfort. I need a suspension for my wifes MINI that is as close to a go-cart as possible. She loves the instant turn in of the run flats, and has never complained that it rides too rough. I -thought- our 2011 R56S had the "sport suspension" due to its ride being VERY stiff. It was also about .7 inches lower than our new 2013 AND it had noticeable negative camber in the rear. However, I have now found out our 2011 was delivered with the base "S" suspension, and I'm guessing the first owner made changes. Our new 2013 has the base "S" suspension and it is MUCH softer than our 2011 was. It has a lot of lean in the corner as well. My wife is NOT happy.

I know most people rip on the Sport and JCW suspensions and say to go aftermarket. Then, when I read about the aftermarket setups, the majority of the praise is how much smoother it rides. I do NOT want that. I want a very very firm suspension. I do have HPDE experience, and understand the importance of a tire staying in contact with the road (stiff bouncing over bumps in mid corner is not good), but the fact is, my wife REALLY wants her MINI to feel like a go cart. I also worry about buying an off the shelf aftermarket setup that has not had hundreds of hours of fine tuning specifically for the R56. I am leaning (no pun intended) towards buying the JCW retrofit kit and installing it myself for a cost around $815 for the kit and then I'm -guessing- $400 for the springs? Does anyone have anything GOOD to say about the JCW retrofit?

I am a fan of Bilstein because of the OEM type quality I have gotten from them with my other vehicles. BUT, they make an off road shock specifically valved for my Xterra. It is an OEM replacement, and is designed to work with the original OEM spring. For my MINI, I am wanting to make everything much stiffer, and believe it is important to buy a matched set (springs/shocks).

I look forward to the opinions and thoughts. Thank you for your time.

Jeff

2013 R56S/Automatic/Sunroof/Sport Package (but NOT sport suspension)

2. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Read a review or wrangle a test drive of a GP2. I have a R53, so I'm not an expert on the newer MINIs; but the R53 GP was basically a Cooper S with the JCW engine, brakes, and suspension. (It had a slightly different intercooler, wheels, and trim). Maybe the GP2 was also a Cooper JCW with similar JCW upgrades to the brakes and suspension and the unique trim.

My R53 has the JCW engine, brakes, and suspension. The only non OEM bits are Power Flex bushings and an R Speed adjustable rear sway bar. I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that your wife would love it as much as I do. It's very firm riding and instantly responsive. (That said, there is zero doubt in my mind that a well modded R53 like Dave's or several others on here would beat mine to a bloody pulp in ANY sort of race or contest.)

I have an earlier version of what you're proposing to build, and I'm very happy with it. Most likely, an R56 with similar upgrades would be comparable. Someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in soon with a better response.

BTW, Welcome to the best MINI forum on the 'net!!

3. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  4. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I think your misinterpreting the smooth in the aftermarket set ups. It's not soft, it's smooth like no rocking action like a boat, better handling smooth not softer riding smooth.
    I originally had the JCW suspension in my 06 and it was fine until Swift came out with springs for MINI, now I have Swift springs with JCW struts, bigger sway bar in rear, plus Adjustable camber plates in front and adjustable arms in rear, it is very smooth, ie tight and certainly not soft.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    My MINI is a 1st gen R53. I went from a very high mileage stock suspension with a 19mm H-Sport rear bar & IE fixed camber plates to the JCW suspension. I also added adjustable rear arms so I could get the rear camber in check. I love the JCW suspension it is everything I want & doesn't beat the carp out of me.

My reasoning for going with the JCW suspension rather than a mix of aftermarket parts was the fact I wanted it right the first time. I did not want to go through several sets of springs & shocks to get my car where I wanted to be. I only had enough money to do this once. I also reasoned the JCW folks & MINI did development on the package since it was sold & installed through dealers.

So what I've got is a MINI that makes me smile & handles really well. My recommendation would be to put a rear sway-bar on & see how your wife likes that before you add a complete suspension. I'm not sure about what the R56 JCW suspension has. You may want to look closer at it before committing your $$$.

6. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep... rear sway bar is the quickest way to add go-kart-i-ness. It's possible that alone will give your wife what she's looking for... feels like it stiffens up everything, even though it really doesn't, because of the way it makes the rear suspension less independent.

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    H-Sport 25mm Competition Rear Sway Bar and I'll bet she will be delighted. Start out on the lightest setting and adjust it upwards until she smiles.

8. JeffInDFW

JeffInDFW New Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You guys are fantastic. Thank you for the thoughts/opinions, it really helps! I will give the adjustable rear sway bar a shot as suggested since I figured even with the JCW setup I would try an adjustable rear bar. I can try that and see if that gets us "far enough to be happy" before going any further.

Crashton, I am in the same boat as you. I do not want to have to "chase a setup" $$$. I am hoping to do it once.

Thanks again everyone. I'll update as we move forward. I just finished a full stereo upgrade on her new 2013, and that just about did me in! LOL! I need a few days to recover!

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    If you do decide to go with the JCW suspension in the future contact Steven at eMINIparts.com. He can give you a nice discount & can answer your questions about the JCW stuff.

10. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    Here's one more vote for changing the rear sway bay before you do anything else. I installed an NM Engineering 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar - particularly liked the billet aluminum sway bar clamps, graphite-impregnated urethane bushings and 4 settings.

The bar absolutely transformed the handling - no more understeer and easy-to-control oversteer on demand. It also took care of the body lean and sharpened the steering response. It's now what an R56 JCW should have been from the factory. :Thumbsup:

11. walshe_ian

walshe_ian Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    You could easily buy a better after market set up cheaper, polyurethane bushes, uprated rear anti roll bar, coilovers or springs....

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Add one more vote for changing the rear Anti-Sway bar to a larger 3 setting adjustable one from Hotchkis. (Only $221.00):Thumbsup:

Time for an M\A Vendor & Sponsor link from Helix: MINI Cooper Rear Swaybar by Hotchkis

13. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    ^ I've been running this bar for probably 135k miles. Just works. Did have to replace a worn-out set of urethane bushings after about 120k miles because I didn't lube them enough. My bad.

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4