Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Raceland coilovers for the R50

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by iovecables, Jun 21, 2015.

1. iovecables

iovecables Member

May 25, 2014
    City Transit Operator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I'm willing to to take one for the team, since my budget is tight and nobody seems to have first hand experience. 2 year warranty, and limited lifetime replacement. USD $369.

Opinions appreciated.

2. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    just say no.

3. iovecables

iovecables Member

May 25, 2014
    City Transit Operator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Elaborate please :)

4. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    You get what you pay for. I reviewed a set of V-Maxx years ago and even at over twice the price of the Racelands, they weren't far off being junk.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Any coil over worth anything cost at least $1700.00 and even then they can be a crapshoot.

The only thing you should buy is a piggy bank and save some money.

6. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    I know nothing about them, but I'd advice that you look elsewhere. The suspension isn't a place to put the cheapest parts you can find. There are safety issues and future repair costs that should be considered. If you don't have the money, save until you do. It's your decision to make, choose wisely!

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    +1. Save your money and buy the Greene Performance coilovers from Colin. The best for the money that I've seen.

8. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    I suppose the next question is: What're your plans for the car?

*Street Only, including fast street and Dragon: KW V2 or V3, budget's choice.
    *Mix of HPDE and street: Greene's might be a good option but they really reduce suspension stroke so keep that in mind. I'd tend towards HVT 6100i if you can afford it.
    *Track Rat car: Probably not applicable for 99.5% of people, so I won't bother unless you're ready to open your wallet for lower lap times.

9. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Think of it this way,
    Mini has suspension built by the lowest bidder in huge huge huge bulk.
    You wont be able to get a lower volume suspension with more features (ride height adjustable) and have it be better than what the car came with.
    The posts talking about how "its so much better" is the best example of the placebo effect i can think of.

10. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    At the top end of the suspension market comes Reiger at $5500 a set! Ohlins is good too. I've done cheap suspension and it didn't work so well.

11. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    If you can't afford good coils, and if you NEED new struts, go Bilstein.

12. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Colin's custom coilovers are about as low as I would look price wise... Because when it comes to most suspension parts you do get what you pay for!

Sure some of the low end coilovers have some adjustment features, but look at the way they are built and compare it to the higher end ones. Welds, piston size, adjustment range of the valving in the shock, weather or not its a twin tube or mono tube design, even the fluid used in the dampers, these are all things to look at... A good set of coilovers normally has shock dyno data available, if there is no data has the manufacturer even tested their product?

Look into reviews across different brands of vehicles about a certain company, chances are if the other markets say the products are a pile of , and that company is new to the MINI market, chances are they are going to be a steaming pile for MINIs too.

There are more aftermarket manufacturers cloning or rebranding coilovers than any other part you could be in the market for, so research is key!

Not saying you have to do as I did, and drop $3000,00 on a set of AST 5100's, just watch out for small unheard of companies. Granted, Colin's coilovers start as BC's (which are mediocre at best but they have some strong points) then they are fully rebuilt, revalved, and the standard BC springs are tossed in the scrap metal bucket where they belong! For the $1700 price tag, you are getting exactly what you are paying for, a strong, durable, reliable, and all around good quality suspension for the money he put foreword to develop them into what the should be.

Needless to say I LOVE the AST's on my R53, but they are overkill for any type of daily driver, so when the time comes to do suspension work on my R60, I will be working with Colin.

13. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

14. iovecables

iovecables Member

May 25, 2014
    City Transit Operator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like nobody had experience with Raceland.
    :(

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Correct, most everyone that has posted has had experience with ultra low cost parts. There is a reason the cost is so low.

Some reviews from other sites on other cars.

The Official Raceland Primo Coilover Review - NASIOC

NASIOC - View Single Post - Raceland coilovers

Raceland Coilover Review - Mazdaspeed Forums

There is tons more out there.

In short, you want looks, get them. You want safe predictable handling. Don't.

16. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    The collective knowledge of this forum is trying to steer you away from these coilovers. No one here may have first hand experience with them, but there are a lot of experience people here and they've seen cheap components and the problems they cause.

You haven't mentioned what you want to achieve from you car, better handling, lowered ride, etc.. The group here will help you get where you want to go and you'll save some money learning from their experience.

17. iovecables

iovecables Member

May 25, 2014
    City Transit Operator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Nathan, thanks for posting those links. My Google searches didn't come up with those. Lots of good reading there, and those threads are pointing me to even more info.

My car is a daily driver, and I've done 2 autocross events this season. I have 110kms on the car, so I'm due for suspension. I'd like to lower no more than an inch. I plan to do this in the spring.
    From what I've read so far, I think these will do what I expect for the money.
    Lot's more reading to do, as my mind isn't made up yet.
    :mtrn:

18. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    If you are using strictly as a DD, and only lowering an inch, I would change out the shocks with either Bilstien on Koni's, and just use Swift Spec-R springs... Solid proven setup.

19. _iD

_iD New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Damn. You can lead a horse to water...

20. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    For the $$, just get koni yellows and lowering springs...
    First time you hit a pothole and have a cheap coilover fail...you will be out more than the extra $$ on the cheap coilover... Sure no "I got coilovers" bragging rights, but the car will be FAR more capable.
    Guess the forkin the road in infront of you...
    Do you choose actual performance or "rice", (aka an OEM-MINUS)....

It is your $$, please do not take the fact we are steering you away from the product you have your heart set on as us not being friendly....it more the collective minds of MA suggesting you back up and reevaluate the choice....
    Many folks have gone down the cheap parts road...the sale of the car is usually the next step as one suddenly finds they don't like their car anymore, and the owner moves on, wondering WHY they ever loved their car....
    Maybe you secretly hope that selling the car with coilovers will be easier..... Hint...keep the old parts.