Suspension Brakes 1st Gen End Link Question

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Red Bull, Jan 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Will R56 rear end links work on an R53? I'm thinking of doing the aluminum trailing arm conversion in the future and don't want have to buy end links twice or grind down the mounting point on the aluminum arms.

Or, will the stock end links still work for a mildly lowered car with a Hotchkis comp sway bar until I decide to do the conversion.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I think they will work because the original GP was the first to use the unreleased R56 aluminum trailing arms when it was built.

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I'm adding the aluminum GP trailing arms in a few weeks. Are you saying, Dave, that the stock R56 end links are the choice? I'm thinking more about a nice adjustable pair. I've got the TSW springs and a Hotchkiss bar as well... Suggestions??

4. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know, the R56 trailing arms need to use R56 end links, or else you need to grind down the shoulder they mount to because the bolt/stud on R53 end links are too short.

I'm looking to install my Hotchkis sway bar before a trailing arm conversion later this year, and want to know if end links for an R56 will work with stock, steel, R53 trailing arms. Mainly, will the longer R56 threads just stick out and not interfere with anything on the suspension, and are they threaded far enough down to tighten against R53 trailing arms. I'm trying to avoid buying R53 adjustable endlinks now, then R56 adjustable endlinks later.

Here is a pic from the MA guide on the conversion of what needs to be done to use endlinks for an R53.

[​IMG]

5. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    #5 Red Bull, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Did you already get your R56 shock bushings/adapters?

edit: I just read on another post that the actual GP trailing arms don't need these as they are slightly different than R56 trailing arms. Do you know if you have GP arms, or R56 arms?

6. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking at getting the Swift Spec R springs for Bitsy. Colin said he recommends adjustable front end links any time someone lowers a car. How does one go about setting these up? Do they need to be longer or shorter if the car is lower?

7. daviday

daviday Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Bump as I'm curious of the same thing. I did rear adjustable arms a few weeks ago and am about ready to put on the alta adjustable links front and rear as that was what I was advised by who will be doing the alignment and corner balance when everything is done.

Few more questions;

For anyone that installed adjustable/different length links, is the difference pronounced when you get rid of the preload?
    If I wanted to replace the sway bar bushies, other than having to take things apart again, would I also have to re-balance? I'm assuming that the answer is yes but hoping that I may be wrong...

8. daviday

daviday Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Bumping this as I still haven't ordered end links. Just watched the mini madness sway bar install video and there was no mention of adjustable rear links. Trying to figure out if adjustable links on an adjustable bar is redundant I guess.

9. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Not redundant, just different adjustment purposes. My question was because I'm planning on swapping 2nd gen trailing arms on to my R53 in the future. My car is already lowered and I have the swaybar waiting for install. I didn't want to buy 1st gen end links knowing I would need 2nd gen in the future.

Is your car lowered? If not, or you don't care about corner balancing, the stock end links should be fine.

10. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    I sell whiteline adjustable links that will work for both,
    but really you need the R56 style links for aluminum trailing arms because the boss is thicker.
    You can use the R56 links on a R53 the dealer can sell them to you as a pair at a reduced cost under a "repair kit" however i think its still around 100$
    My links are just over that and much more robust.