Suspension Brakes Sway Bar End Links

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by leicaguy, Sep 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. leicaguy

leicaguy New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Medical Tech
    Catawba (near Roanoke), VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm thinking of replacing the OEM sway bar end links with aftermarket adjustable. Once installed, what determines the adjustment length? How do I know what length to make them? What effect does the length have on handling, if any?

2. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    My understanding is that the goal is for the sway bar ends to be level with the ground.

3. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    There's a lot that one can do...

while starting parallel is a good place, the real goal of the endlinks is to take out pre-load when you corner balance. Going to non-parallel angles can tune the effective bar strenth as well. You've got to watch range of motion so that you don't have any issues with interference. But to tell you the truth, this part isn't needed until you go to coil-overs and want to corner balance your car.

Keep them on the "future maybe" list, but you don't need to spend the money until you go "full race" with the rest of the suspension bits.

Matt

4. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
  5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Just to add my $0.02 to several good points already, there's no need to upgrade the endlinks unless you're changing the ride height differently for each side with coilivers. That's what corner balancing does, adjusts the ride height independently on each corner to achieve even side to side weight distribution (and front to back for other cars, but that's a lost cause in a mini). And even then you only need one endlink per side to get them even again.

Another school of thought says that the endlinks are the weak point in the suspension if you have a big sway bar. Yes the oem joints are puny and weak, but they're not carrying a lot of force. Save your money for something else till you break an endlink.

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Good stuff, been running these for more than a couple years now with zero problems and yes there was preload from the shorter springs present before installing them. Think they are the same as Powergrid.

7. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Here's my question... Even without coilovers... When I put a fat dude in the driver's seat, the swaybars get preloaded - and I can adjust the end links to eliminate the preloaded with my butt in the seat... Does this have a real handling benefit?

8. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Yes in the way of having your suspension working the way it should, no in the way camber plates or a larger sway bar do. I do weight the drivers seat as I do during alignment when setting them. One thing they do when lowering is not only remove the preload but give you the ability to return the swaybars back to their correct operating angle/orientation.... 2 cents

9. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    That's how mine are adjusted - level swaybar, no preload with driver's seat weighted. I'm just wondering how much the reduction/elimination of preload is actually making... I don't know that I felt any difference...

10. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    And there you have it!

These are great for track rats... For street drivers? Maybe if you need to replace a stocker.

Matt

11. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I felt/feel the difference on track or extreme driving in the twisties (which I would never do) but agree with Matt that most folks just driving normally would never know the difference. My car ask for them though on a track day...lol

12. Onasled Racing

Onasled Racing New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Paul,yea, I doubt anyone will really feel the difference. The fact is that when you turn the steering wheel just an inch one way or the other from dead center you are preloading the front bar a good amount. The way the Mini front bar is set up is one reason our Minis handle so well in the turns.

13. leicaguy

leicaguy New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Medical Tech
    Catawba (near Roanoke), VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, sounds like the money can be put to better use. Thanks for the input.

14. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    They are good parts...

but just should be used when appropriate to the mod path.

Matt

15. Onasled Racing

Onasled Racing New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

16. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
  17. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yup - was one of the last things I did - after springs, struts, swaybar, lower control arms, brakes, braces, camber plates, etc... I'm low enough in back that I needed (wanted) them to get my swaybar horizontal...

18. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    The stock rod diameter of the OEM sway bar end links just don't seem hefty enough in relation to the sway bar diameter. Seem like there would be problems when the rod is put under compression.

19. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    They do OK for most driving but I have heard of the OEM endlinks breaking under track conditions, but understand that a broken sway bar endlink usually is not one of those failures that put you into the wall.....

20. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    There just aren't a lot of failures out there....

yeah it looks spindly, but that also means it's light, and it's unsprung weight. With a good design, there should be little or no bending torque on the device. It's awful hard to compress the shaft of metal....

Matt