Suspension Brakes Caution when changing Brake Hoses

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by grodenglaive, May 19, 2011.

1. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    So, I decided to replace the rubber brake hoses with braided SS hoses. At first it was a very simple job (loosen 2 nuts, remove rubber hose, attach braided hose). The fronts took about 5 minutes each, but on both rear lines the attachment nut (where the steel line connects to the hose) was rusted onto the steel line. When I thought I was loosening the nut, I was actually twisting the brake line!
    It snapped off and I ran around trying to find something to plug the end, while brake fluid was running out (ended up using epoxy putty).
    I ended up paying for a tow and had to have both rear brake lines replaced. The mechanic said it is pretty common for those fitting to rust on. It's a pretty dumb design.
    Anyway, if you are planning to replace your brake hoses, be sure to soak the fittings with penetrating oil at least a day before and be careful.

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Good tip.

I'm gonna throw another one out there. If you're changing brake hoses, use a long stick (crutches are perfect) wedged against the front seat to depress the brake pedal a few inches. This will push the master cylinder in and isolate the brake system from the reservoir. Brake fluid will still drip from the open lines, but very very slowly. I had my front calipers off for three and a half weeks and topped off the master cylinder twice.

3. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    that would definitely make things easier