Anybody ever hear of "Back of the Dragon"?

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by Standard Dude, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Standard Dude

Standard Dude New Member

May 26, 2011
    Mt Carmel CSC
    Powell
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't sure where to post this but Fun Roads, Routes and Drives sub-forum Virginia seemed appropriate.

The wife was in Atkins VA, near Marion VA on business and saw something that referred to the "back of the dragon". She asked about it and was told of a drivers road, Tazewel to Marion. I found their website and their slogan cracked me up: "Eleven...try thirty-two".
    32 miles of twisties--looks pretty good on google maps!

2. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Heard of it but have not been there yet, sounds good.

3. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
  4. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    Interesting find! Never heard of it, but I do like the slogan.

Maybe if the "Tail" was designated a tourism zone, they might finally block trucks from going down it in BOTH directions.

I do wonder about the 32 miles. The most unique thing to me about the Dragon in TN/NC is the fact that there are no driveways or intersecting roads, period. If this 32 mile stretch has that feature, I will find my way there for sure at some point.:cornut:

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup that is the best part of the Dragon and the Foothills Parkway. :Thumbsup:

Oh and TN is not smart enough to block trucks from entering the Dragon from the TN side. :mad2::mad2::mad2:
    They will someday when someone has a crazy accident with a truck and has the money and a good lawyer and sues TN for allowing trucks on that section of road.

6. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Look at their map it looks like there are 2 good sections of limited access road. Both ends closer to the towns have a lot of roads coming in and a section in the middle has some more.

Remember no radar detectors allowed in VA.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    :lol::lol::lol: I run my V1 every year without any issues. :devil::devil::devil:

FYI they can't detect them. :ihih:

8. Belhaven

Belhaven Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    hmm - i think i found a road to travel on the way to the start of this year's BRPT :)

9. JBC

JBC New Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Back of the Dragon, starts just pass Hungry Mothers State Park near Marion, VA. I have driven it several times. Beautiful and a fun drive if you have the right machine. Need the great balance of power and handling. Mini works great on this road.

10. Belhaven

Belhaven Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    We did that road last year on the way to the north end of the Blue Ridge Parkway Tour. As other have said, access isn't very limited so you can't go "full-dragon" for all of their 33 miles but it is a good set of twisteys.

Another decent little road (again, not limited access) is VA-56 from Vesuvius over the parkway... you can go all the way to Patrick Henry parkway but we usually turn around and go back before then.

11. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0

Just remember that there is more than one way to be caught, some are very low tech. Family friend who was the County Sheriff told me if they radar your car and you brake, that's probable cause to stop you to look for a detector. Also, if when they radar you, they see lights come inside, that too is cause to stop you.

12. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    That's why you just lift off the gas. Possibly, down shift a gear. And if you have the detector rigged right... only you will see the lights.

13. LostDenverite

LostDenverite New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    C3M Territory
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Yup, yup. Was recently there:

http://meetu.ps/2GmF67

14. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I was on some really nice twisties in VA last week, outside of Bedford and noticed that in VA, the speed limit on these roads was 55. One of them was the old "hair pin" type, right up the side of the mountain, with no guard rails. I was told, by locals, that new roads have been build now and the twisty ones are rarely used. :Thumbsup:

15. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Kinda of an old thread, but I'll chime in with my opinions on BACK of the Dragon. Our club, Hampton Roads club MINI had a run through there last year. It crosses three mountain ranges. Those are good, but the sections in between those ranges are a bit boring. Like Dave eluded to, there are side streets and driveways to deal with. The 32 mile claim, while true, is a bit disingenuous. The fun parts maybe make up 18-20sime miles of it. Still, not quite as hairpiny as teh Dragon is but there are a few "damn near stop" turns. There are a good number of sweepers, many of which are blind, as you'd expect.

I'd do it again when I get a chance, but I doubt I'd make a special trek across the state for it. I'd honestly drive a bit further and hit Foothills or Cherohala.