Pissed Off Toyota Camry Driver Tries to Run Over Mini Cooper in California

Discussion in 'Weird MINI News' started by Steve, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Monday, April 29, 2013

For all those viewers commenting on the crazy drivers in Russia, here's another reminder that you can find the same kind of nuts behind the wheel in your very own backyard, which in this case, happens to be the 880 Interstate near Freemont California in the good 'ol U.S. of A.

A camera mounted on the dashboard of YouTube author Solomon Wu's turbocharged Mini Cooper Coupe captured this wild and rather scary incident.

Wu first uploaded the video of the driver of a 1990s Toyota Camry sedan cutting him off and pressing the brakes while also swinging from lane to lane several times. The driver of the Mini reacted in a calm manner and simply tried to avoid the Toyota without crashing into any other cars on the road.

After a number of YouTube commentators said that Wu might have done something to annoy the Toyota driver, he uploaded the first part that shows how it all began. Wu was riding on his lane when the Toyota driver turned without looking over his shoulder and using his or her blinkers…

If he hasn't done so already, we'd advise Wu to show the video recording to the police. No one wants such a hot-headed and reckless driver on the loose.

Source - Pissed Off Toyota Camry Driver Tries to Run Over Mini Cooper in California

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fMHUdsICT8]Extreme Road Rage on 880N - 04/27/13 at ~09:45 - Camry 3RTL661 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC-TYxYZHpE]Extreme Road Rage - Beginning - YouTube[/ame]

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: IDIOT! He/she will eventually meet another Road Rage person and together they'll cause a huge multi car accident.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Crazy Russo-American Toyota driver....

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Ha?

I get a lot of that from Camry drivers lately. Couple of years ago, coming back from the track with my wife, some crazy c**t was trying to do that to me for nearly 20 miles. Did not matter if I slowed down to get away (she would slow down also), or if I took off. She would catch up once I got back down to speed limit and start again. Running her into traffic, or nearly putting her into the wall had no effect. Even had to call 911 (for all the good that did me. CHP took the NHL approach of no blood, no foul).

On the other hand, I guess if I drove a borring appliance like a Camry I'd have to look for kicks anywhere I could find them.

5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    After watching the "beginning" clip, it's not a stretch to imagine people getting annoyed by a vehicle blowing past on the right at a speed well above the normal flow of traffic -- particularly one as sporty looking as this Coupe. I seem to recall that the Cali laws are fairly lenient about overtaking on the right but it's illegal in some other states and countries.

That said, such annoyance is no excuse for the idiotic and dangerous reaction by that Camry operator.

6. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    While the rule about passing on the right is "technically" on the books in Kali, I don't think I've ever heard of it being enforced. Of course from personal experience only, around here the drivers are just as unaware about getting out of the left lane if there are vehicles behind you. I routinely see cars in the fast lane that are either through the decrepit state of the driver, or the car itself are traveling at well bellow the flow of traffic, totally oblivious to the fact that everything to their right whizzes past them like so many stars past the star ship Enterprise at warp speed while at the same time there is a line of cars stacked up behind them. Honking, or flashing your lights rarely has any effect. And as a matter of fact, flashing will earn you a ticket. Ask me how I know.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I also think the driver put himself in the position to piss someone off by going a lot faster in the right lane than even the folks in the fast lane are doing. Folks should be aware of the cars coming up and make sure the lane is clear before signaling and completing a lane change, but the driver should not have been going that fast in the slowest lane.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Lanes are not divided by speed here, maybe in Oregon. I agree passing on the right is not a good move. I won't pass judgement on the MINI driver, but sure will on the idiot driving the appliance. :incazzato:

9. Scotty

Scotty New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    German/Swedish/Finnish marine propulsion equipment
    New Orleans
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Some folks suddenly feel tougher behind a wheel. What a doofus.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    OR does have a "Stay in right lane unless passing" law when it is posted. I wasn't so much concerned about the law as I was simply concerned that the MINI driver was going a lot faster than the other cars in what is supposed to be a slower lane.

11. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    All things aside, both drivers need to change their ways. The Mini was in a diamond lane (a designated higher speed throughway on the freeways out here) and appeared to be minding their own business. Cool until another driver wants to get past you in that same lane. In listening to the talk between those in the Mini, the Camry driver was likely behind them in that same lane wanting to go faster than the Mini driver was wanting to go. "Get the F outa the way was likely running thru the Camry drivers mind. Rightfully so in my opinion..... I don't agree that the deliberate act of reckless driving was good for anyone, but I've seen that happen so often on the freeways and surface streets that its somewhat second nature.

In a nutshell, I've learned to watch my rear view mirror more carefully and move right if someone is approaching from behind at a higher rate of speed. This state doesn't have any law that I'm aware of that says you can't pass on the right. You just can't pass on the shoulder. However, slower traffic is required to drive to the right. That means stay outa the fast lane unless you intend to lead! Don't think I haven't been in both drivers' seats. I have... I've just never been so aggressive as to place the lives of the innocent into jeopardy through such a poor choice of driving judgement as was displayed in this video.

Happy Motoring and stay safe out there!!

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Firebro, you need to watch the second video that shows why it started.

13. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I watched the second clip again. Yes, the Mini is moving faster than traffic. Although he is in #3 of 5 lane. Not counting the diamond lane. It does look like the Camry tried to move around a slower yet car by changing lanes at the last moment without signaling. Just my interpretation. Without actually being there, it's relative.