1st Gen JCW Leaking Turbo Oil Inlet Line

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by CHKMINI, Dec 5, 2011.

1. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    This past weekend we discovered that the inlet oil line to the turbo was leaking and spraying oil directly on the turbo. Apparently the crimp joint has an o ring that dries out from the intense heat of the turbo and fails. The line has to be replaced. In fact, the '12 models now have a clip on heat shield attached at the fitting end to reduce the heat soak at the crimp joint
    I have a '09 JCW with 76,000 miles. My dealer has now informed me that the return line is leaking as well. From my perspective this is a poor design that MINI needs to replace under warranty/policy but at the moment I'm looking at an $810 repair bill.
    Does anyone have any insight to this issue. Service Builletins, lawsuits, repairs, etc. that I can use as documentation to MINI in an effort to get them to pay for their design flaw?

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    On post #29, you'll see that I've at least encountered this, later in the thread a couple others reported the same leak, and I know of a couple warranty replacements locally. However, not all R56 turbos get a leak. Negotiating a reduction in labor may be possible based on the commonality of this leak, plus the dinky heat shield was not available for your model, and the pipe crimp was redisigned after 09, but "design flaw" will be difficult to argue. I think it is more likely the line was installed at an angle causing an uneven seal, rather than unshielded convective heat causing an O-ring failure. Conductive heat from the turbo housing is extensive as is.

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Thanks Keith! I've registered my official complaint with MINI...at least I didn't right it on paper and waste time AND trees. IMO this line should be a stainless flex line with a straight banjo fitting and not the crimp fitting that they use.

4. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Okay, that is a genuine concern for me. You said they changed it but did that change happen in '10 or '11 MY? Keith, how much of a pain is this to repair once it happens?

5. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    I don't know the date the part changed. You can compare the one your car to the one in the photo (09 JCW) to see if the crimped end on the fitting is shaped similar.

I recommend lifting the front and removing the front wheels to start, the bumper cover and bumper are removed, the radiator support & lights are placed in service mode. From here I'll borrow a descriptive post:
    When I replaced the piping, I had the turbo and manifold removed along with the radiator support for additional tasks.

6. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I had both lines replaced today. The inlet was leaking at the crimp fitting and the return was leaking too. The turbo had to be removed as well as the bumper and radiator. Total bill with parts and labor $730. I'm going after MINI for a policy adjustment. The dealer did a great job, got me right in and got me on my way in about 6 hours. This is a senseless repair if the original line was stainless flex with banjo fittings instead of the crimped fitting POS!!!

7. MINI Fireman

MINI Fireman New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
  8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Mark, after they replaced your turbo oil line, did they attach the oil line heat shield? Or did they only replace the oil line?

9. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    They added the oil line heat shield too.

10. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Hmmmmm.....
    Is that MINI's way of saying it's a defective design without the heat shield?

11. Thunderball Kaboom

Thunderball Kaboom New Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I am the Coordinator for a program that provides h
    Live and play in Central Phoenix - Camelback corri
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have been informed of a similar issue during a complimentary service review event at my dealer. Quoted $720 before a 20% discount.