Mini Cooper Clubman Timing chain

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Hickster01, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Hickster01

Hickster01 New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Realtor, trainer
    Westerville, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2010 Mini Cooper Clubman S. The timeing chain broke blowing the engine. I have never missed a service and i am trying to see if there are other instances of this. I did buy a 100,000 servive warranty with the car from Charleston Mini os So Carolina. I was lead to believe by the finance guy that delivered the car to me and whose job it is to sell that kind of junk( paint protector, wheeel warranties and the like) that this would cover this type of situation. My dealer in Dublin Ohio( They are AWESOME) informed me that this is not the case. They are trying to get BMW to fix it. I have never had a timeing chain do thjis and I keep my cars to 200 to 300k. Any suggestions floks?

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    How many miles on the car when the timing chain broke?
    What was the oil level in the engine? These cars are very sensitive about having enough oil, the oil level should be checked with every tankful of gas. If it was low on oil when it let go, it's your fault.

Do you have a copy of your extended warranty? Have you read it? Don't trust the dealer to tell you what's in the extended warranty.

Dave

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    MINI has two different extended warranty products. One is an extension of the "free" service that includes oil changes, brake pads and the like that really an extended maintenance plan. The other is an extension of the vehicles warranty that should cover things like this. Might want to see which one you purchased. It's quite possible to get the two mixed up especially in the excitement of the Fiance Office when you are about to take delivery of your new car. You would certainly not be the first.

Dublin, OH ehh...Thats MAG. Are you working with Sam there? If not, ask to speak with him please. He will be your best advocate at MAG with MINI to get this covered.

Now I'm curious too, how did you hear of Motoring Alliance?

Also be sure to check out the Mid-Ohio Motoring area here on M/A. Come join us for donuts and tire kicking some time.

4. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Nathan,

You forgot to tell him that we are the "un-club" club. We just enjoy each other and DONUTS.

5. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    that's a bummer. We've seen several of these.

Let me know if you want to sell the car with the broken engine.

6. r34king

r34king Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Auto Tech NTB Capital BLVD
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I've done a bunch of these repairs at work. It most likely didn't break the chain but instead jumped time. Its possible that if the vacuum pump locked up it would shear the exhaust sprocket off and bad things ensue. However : it is the owners responsibility to check and top off fluids and tire pressure more often than you get your oil changed. BMW says that 1qt of oil consumption every 1000 miles is acceptable. And the oil pan only holds 4.5 qts. So with that math if you only get your oil changed when the dashboard tells you it makes sense that this happens, after all the timing chain tensioner runs off of oil pressure. If you run low on oil you can't build enough pressure.

This post is not against you in any way. Just letting you all know to check your oil more frequently. :D

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    ^^^ good analogy on the relationship of oil level / oil pressure / timing chain tensioner. Check that oil level.

8. RoadRoar

RoadRoar New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 5, 2009
    Design and product development, also general busin
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Everyone I talk to agrees that 3,-5,000 miles max between Oil changes is best. There's just too much heat and pressure in these engines to keep even the best synthetic oil from breaking down before 15k miles. My Clubman now has 86k miles on it and I've started using Royal Purple 5w30 in it. The cars been running great and I think the average fuel economy has improved slightly. Any other oil recommendations?

9. Austinsynthetics

Austinsynthetics Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    Amsoil Distributor and Registered Nurse
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Oil remmendations...

I can't agree more with most users stating frequent oil changes, are best for our cars. I must also mention Amsoil as a proven synthetic oil. I use nothing but Amsoil in all four of my cars, and have never had a problem. If you are interested, I am a supporting sponsor of MA and an Amsoil dealer. Everyone from MA pays wholesale pricing, so disregard what displays on my site.

10. r34king

r34king Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Auto Tech NTB Capital BLVD
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Ill second royal purple that's what I use on my r53 with 97k on it. Amsoil is also great stuff

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I've used Mobil 1 for years. It is all our MINI's see. I use 0W40 for our MINI's & 5W30 in our Not N MG. I don't sell Mobile 1 if that makes a difference. :wink:

Agreed that timely oil changes are important as is checking ones oil.

12. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    Royal Purple and Amsoil are too hard to find.
    I'll stick with MINI brand oil, The dealer is close and convenient.

Dave

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Do you have a Autozone nearby? If so they sell the Castrol..... But look closely on the label for the word "European", that will be the good stuff (LL-01 Long Life). They also have it on sale from time to time.

14. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Do you really need to bother with LL (long Life) oil if you are changing it every 7,500 miles or less?

While my car's in warranty I'm also using the MINI oil from the dealer, like Dave, my dealer's close enough that it's an easy and cost effective choice for my car.