New "accessory" for the MINI!

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Rawhyde, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    #1 Rawhyde, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    UPDATED: It's here! New "accessory" for the MINI!

Folks, I've been thinking about this for some time and have debated various options until I'm blue in the face, but earlier today, I ordered up an EZ Car Lift.

My shop is 20 x 24 with an 8' ceiling, but I do as much as I can with it. Over the last few years, I've added insulation, new T-8 lighting (I have 90-100 foot-candles except just over the hood I have 165), Mr. Heater, air conditioning, and plumbed in air lines. I can't make a real lift fit, and with the unfortunate columns in the way, I can't make a Max Jax work either.

I'm really excited about finally getting a lift! I've done all of my own work for a long time now, so this ain't just for oil changes. I have some major work planned for the MINI in the near future, so the new toy should get a workout soon. 26" of lift by pulling the trigger on a drill for 90 seconds is a lot better, faster, and safer than the old school method with floor jacks and stands.

Anyone on here have one of these or used one? I think it's gonna be good, but it always makes me nervous when I make a major purchase.

Of course, if I ever do manage to pick the right lottery numbers, I'm gonna do a MAJOR remodel....

Rawhyde

PS Pix and a full review to come...

2. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Don't have one here but really interested in seeing the pics and reading your review

3. Scotty

Scotty New Member

Mar 9, 2013
    German/Swedish/Finnish marine propulsion equipment
    New Orleans
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Congrats. That sounds like a great purchase and you now have me eyeing that up pretty closely. Tell us how well it works when you get it. It looks well worth it.

4. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #4 Firebro17, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    I'm searching for a lift such as the one you're describing. I'd love to know more and see a picture of it. Also lets see some pics of your garage. We've got a thread that's intended to showcase your garage... It's entitled "Show Me Your Garage."

I just looked at your gallery and see you've secured the proper color MINI for yourself.

Very nice choice! :beer

5. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Garage lifts are great! My neighbor has one and lets me use it whenever I want.

Dave

6. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Firebro! I've really enjoyed my MINI. It's a little bit brash looking, but it's a lot of fun.

I'm going out to my shop to straighten up a bit. According to Fed Ex, the lift has made it to the City of Industry, and it's on its way to Georgia!

If I can get it halfway presentable, I'll snap some pix. I'm afraid I'll have to start a Packrat's Lair thread rather than add to the Garage Thread!

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I so want one of those!

8. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    OK guys, the lift arrived today! Several pics below.

It came packed in two boxes that weighed about 60 pounds each. The boxes probably weighed 50 pounds each after all the enormous tire busting staples were removed.

Once we opened up the boxes, the lift parts were all shrink-wrapped. One all that was peeled off, we had all the parts freed up.

Assembly was straightforward and simple. Just bolt on the low clearance wheel kit and the crossbars.

If you have room, you just roll it under the car and lift. If you're like me and space challenged, you slide the lift over so you straddle one of the lifting arms and drive over the crossbars. The low clearance wheel kit allows you to drive over the crossbars without causing any damage. This is an upgrade worth getting.

I tried lifting the Honda (beater) first because it needed an oil change anyway. They are NOT kidding about needing a high quality drill to lift a car. I have an Old Milwaukee 3/8" drill that was given to me about 20 years ago. It couldn't cut the mustard. Tomorrow, I'm getting a 1/2" Old Milwaukee Magnum Holeshooter. If you get one of these, DO NOT get cheap on the drill. I really like my shop, and I've got some cool stuff in it, but it's pitifully small and cramped. If you're space constrained, this lift is really cool. I wish I'd bought this years ago.

One of the pics shows a comparison of how much higher this is than jack stands.

Rawhyde gives this two thumbs up!

01 Lift in Boxes Webpic.jpg

03 Open Box webpic.jpg

05 All Lift Parts webpic.jpg

07 Lift Upside Down webpic.jpg

10 Lift Assembles webpic.jpg

9. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    More pix

12-Empty-Lift-webpic.jpg

17-Honda-Raised-webpic.jpg

20-Honda-raised-with-me-webpic.jpg

23-Jackstand-Comparison-webpic.jpg

24-MINI-on-Lift-webpic.jpg

10. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    A few more...

25-MINI-Closeup-on-lift-webpic.jpg

29-MINI-side-on-lift-webpic.jpg

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Would an air driven impact driver work?

12. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    The instructions warn you not to use an impact wrench. There are two precision gearboxes and long acme threaded drive screws. Impact wrenches will damage those really fast. You need power, but smooth continuous rotation to make it work. A powerful drill with an extra handle would make this a lot easier to use.

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That looks awesome have fun with the new toy.

14. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The big problems I have with this unit are the cost and the height, even tho it is better than jack stands as you show..... but especially when a powered mid rise from Greg Smith or someone which is hydraulically lifted can be had for $1400. I have a similar problem with ceiling height in my shop, (I actually only have 7' because of the garage door openers) but if I ever move to a higher ceilinged shop I'll be able to use a mid rise there to even better avail.

My old Jag is about 46", so I could easily lift it three feet, the MINI a bit shorter than that.

That said it looks perfect for your shop and it sure doesn't take up much room......

15. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #16 Firebro17, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Nice addition to be sure. I guess I missed it somewhere, but what did this lift cost anyway?

16. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    I gave $2037 for it with the low clearance wheels, hockey pucks, and an extra bottle of lube. Don't forget to factor in about $150 for an INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH drill.

17. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    That thing is bad ass! I would love to have one in my garage. Oh my the stuff I could do!

Sadly at this point to get one, I would have to take a second and third job.

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Makes me want a Garage again.

Thanks for sharing.

19. khammo01

khammo01 New Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    How long does it take to raise with drill?

How much time does it take to get to full height with a drill?
    I love the light weight and compact size but worried that using a drill will take forever. I can get a MINI on jack stands in about 3 minutes, but would like to get some extra height.