Forget Mileage, Let’s Talk Time

Discussion in 'MINI' started by BruceK, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    What about the rears?

2. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    I didn't touch them this time. The rears seem to be on a shorter wear schedule than then fronts (no, I don't drive around with my handbrake on!).

The fronts lasted about 65K miles, but the rears only lasted about 50K on my car (same EBC Greenstuff pads). So replaced them about 4 years ago and they are still fine.

It doesn't make too much sense since the front brakes on a car do most of the braking. Anyone else experience rear brakes needing to be replaced sooner than the fronts?

3. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yep, the culprit is the DCS helping to control the car by dragging one of the rears around certain corners above certain speeds.....

4. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Ah, that's my problem. I'm dragging my rear around!

:biggrin5:

5. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    #25 BruceK, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Update: Time marches on, and this past weekend marked 15 years of my ownership of that R53 MINI. She continues to be a great car, and I have no plans to replace her.

Last summer, MiniDave and I went to MiniMeet West in San Diego. My MINI towed my classic Mini from Dallas to San Diego (and back) through deserts and mountains. Never skipped a beat.

Only has 116K miles now, so plenty of life left in her.

Attached Files:

6. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    That was a great trip!

Since your R53 hauled your classic so easily, I got brave and bolted a hitch to my clubby and hauled my classic to San Antonio along with you and a few other classic owners this last March for another Mini get together, and was pleased to see how easily it pulled the Racing Green classic.

This will allow me to take my Mini to more events, as being located in the center of the country usually means a long haul.

Attached Files:

7. PatNJo

PatNJo New Member

Aug 19, 2017
    retired
    cold spring, Ky
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's really really cool guys! Love the old Mini's so much, always wanted one. Having a new one AND and old one is perfect.

On the subject of holding on to your Cars for a long time.....

I've only had my Mini for a little over a month now, but if my past history is any indication I expect to have it a loooong time. My "other" car is a 2004 Honda CRV that I got new. It now has 302K on it and is still running great and has 0 rust. No plans to get rid of it either.