Do you manual?

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Metalman, Apr 7, 2016.

1. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Please clarify for me.........what is rev-matching and why is it different from blipping?

2. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    Rev matching is having the engine rpm's where they will want to be when you release the clutch in the new lower gear. Speed and gear selection determine the change in rpm's that is required. Blipping is just that and requires considerably less skill and effort.

3. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    You want to help keep kids safer as they start driving... force their extremities to be 100% engaged in controlling their rolling missile. They won't have time, or the physical ability, to tweet or text while behind the wheel.

4. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Haha!

Yep, sorry. I was, in preparation for the Dragon, summoning my inner Dave "Richard Cranium" .O

5. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

Sorry, but I still don't get the difference. Blipping the throttle and getting it right on target consistently regardless of speed is not easy......how is rev matching any more difficult?

6. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    I think the confusion we're experiencing is not much more than just a misunderstanding of terms. When I think of throttle 'blipping' I think of what drivers do when they're heeling and toeing. I think of blipping as stabbing at the throttle and immediately releasing the throttle. To me rev matching is not stabbing at the throttle and releasing it but rather pressing the throttle and bringing up the rpm's to where they will want to be and holding that rpm as the clutch is being released. if your thinking is that you blip to different rpm's for different conditions then you are doing what I consider to be rev matching. Many manual drivers simply stab and release the throttle any time they are down shifting no matter the speed or rpm's and consider that rev matching.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Thanks, that explains why the misunderstanding. When I blip, I am rev-matching as I am making sure to complete the gear change before the revs drop. That's why you wouldn't be able to tell I had downshifted.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Well now that we have that figured out I feel much better!:D