Alta Access Port with Perrin Stage 4 Tunes

Discussion in '2nd Generation Parts For Sale' started by Spade, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    #1 Spade, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Selling an AP with 10 additional Stage 4 tunes

Tunes are specific to the 42/56 turbo sold by Alta. However this size turbo is also sold by JMTC and FrankenTurbo if I'm not mistaken.

Price is $750

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You will have better luck selling that ALTA Access port crap on NAM or LXM.

We are all well educated and know better then to buy crap with ALTA, M7 on it.

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    It wasn't made by Alta, it was made by Cobb tuning, a respected manufacturer of tunes and speed equipment for BMW, Subaru, Porsche, VW, Ford, Mazda and Chrysler. Alta only marketed it.

I have an Access Port and I like it alot, it even reads BMW trouble codes and acts as a data logger

4. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    It's a little dated but that's why I bought Stage 4 tunes for it.

And as noted it's really a Cobb product. Care to enlighten me on your distaste for Alta and M7?

I've actually got the Alta boost tube and M7 OCC w/o issues.

5. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Alta and M7 are just crap parts. I know M7 has some new MAXX G stuff now that's at least better than what they've put out in the passed but since it's sold by M7 they can keep it.
    That boost tube and occ can say made by walmart on them and there would be 0 difference. The boost tube will likely wear out at the mounting points and fail within 2-4 years depending on what is rubbing against it and the occ, well, that just kinda sits there donnit? Not like they have any affect on performance anyways. Just be happy they're not even remotely critical components to the cars operation.

6. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well I actually have the Alta turbo. But it's really just a Borg Warner that Alta sold.

Speaking of the OCC I saw one exactly the same (sans logo) for about $30 instead of $150. Problem was getting the fittings specific to Mini.

7. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    So you have the Alta turbo not the boost tube? OCC's like the ones Alta and M7 sell are pure crap. There needs to be some sort of baffling in order for them to actually capture oil mist. I regrettably spent money on an M7 OCC (had a 35% off coup'n) a little while back and I crammed a bunch of stainless mesh into it so that it could do what it's advertised to do. Still does a crap job at catching oil. It's been in there since MOTD last year and still have yet to see anything register on the little side hose deal. It's plenty dirty inside and all the mesh is oil covered, but the out/in are right next to each other on the can and since it's the carbon version I can't open it and add any plates or baffles to make it function. M7 cc and the like are just as "good" as those selling for like 20 bux on ebay. No thought goes into anything they design. They either rip off another design or just put out crap components. OR buy and badge then resell as their own.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    I don't know about M7. As I understand it they have a new owner so I am willing to give them a changes. As far as Alta I don't use them because of their customer support. I had a problem with with a part they shipped. I cold not tell if it was damaged. It was a spark plug. When I called to ask about it, I was told it was not their problem to call the shipper. They were rude from the word go. I tried to tell them I was not sure if it was a defect from manufacturing or damage. I wasn't even asking to return it, I just didn't want to use it and have it come apart and damage my engine. I could have understood if I had called them several times but this was my first time to talk to them, I would have even eaten the cost of the plug.

You compare their behavior to the sponsors MA has. They support the community and are very helpful. Even going out of their way to support us. They deserve our support not Alta.

9. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I didn't know that. That must be when the MAXX G stuff started.

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Cobb tuning is not that great either. :ihih:

11. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I have both the Alta turbo and boost tube. They haven't done anything to particularly impress or disappoint me other than Jeff Perrin who is kind of Alta.

I kind of wish I just bought the BSH fittings and gotten an oil can of my choosing.

Hmm, I'll look first at the sponsors here going forward. Only thing I really need now is an LSD. Which I suppose I'd trade for.

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    OS GIKEN LSD Superlocker is the best you can buy.

Contact Jan at RMW for a good deal on one.

Contact
    Jan Brueggemann

(949) 464- 7691 (RMW1)

13. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'll ask, thanks. Always thought it was more than I can afford pal.

Was leaning towards Torsen mainly for cost ($625) and I know it works well in the Miata.

14. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is the classified forum locked for new threads? I can't get my thread to post...

15. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Back to the to Access Port.
    I m an Access Port fan I've had one before and they work very well. The valet mode is helpful for those times when you have to let some shop drive your car. The stock tuning levels are okay but it's best to get a custom tune.
    That said, for the price you are asking I can get a "Jan tune" and his interface box, new. Jan is the best tuner for MINIs.

16. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I will lower the price a bit. I figured this AP is worth it based on the going price of $500 for a standard AP + the 12 additional tunes this one has, 10 of them being Stage 4.

17. agillzz

agillzz New Member

May 2, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Is this still for sale, I'm interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0