Soooooo Whatcha Eating?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Metalman, Mar 20, 2010.

1. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Used to cook, now I am the guy who eats, when I am in bachelor mode I enjoy trying all the local places around town. Not fast food places!

I was a cook of sorts for a few years in my younger days, Italian and Steak House, I know how to cook a nice steak on the grill or BBQ. I gave it up because my wife is a much better cook.

Btw, when I cooked I was over 200 lbs, not something good for you, now that she cooks I am at a good weight for a guy over 70.

So, man card, I do not care, but good food I do care about. Tonight's excellent simple dinner Baked Zita with Sweet Italian Sausage, it hit the spot nicely.

Don
    :)

2. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I was just bustin' Dave's chops with the man card thing. Steak is one of those things we men take pride in grilling, even if it turns out like shoe leather. Mine are awesome, BTW. :cool:

When I'm out on the road, eating restaurant food, I gain five to ten pounds. When I get home and cook my own food from scratch, I eat well AND lose weight.

When I was married, my wife and I both cooked. Her major talent was baking. I did my best work on the stove.

CD

3. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Staff Microbiologist/hematologist at UC Davis
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    I guess this doesn't really qualify as eating, but I came into work today to find some hefeweizens on my desk (courtesy of my boss). :Thumbsup:

I wonder if anyone will notice if I don't get any work done today...

Attached Files:

4. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    Your boss is effing awesome. Those Weinhenstephaners are about as close as you can get to the real thing in the Fatherland. I'm still savoring the memories of all the bier from my trip in August.

5. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I'm looking forward to getting back home to cook -- from scratch.

Christmas dinner was a fully cooked ham with a honey glaze from Kroger. On the side was candied yams from a can, and the ubiquitous green bean casserole, made with all canned, processed ingredients. To be fair, those glazed, spiral cut hams are usually pretty good, but this one was too salty, and really dry.

I did get to cook the eggs this morning... in a non-stick pan using NO butter, or any other fat. I got my mom to allow me a tiny spritz of PAM. I wanted to make her read the ingredients in the can of reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup she was going to use in the green bean casserole later in the day, but figured it would be like asking my dog to read the soup can. Pointless. So, I took it as a challenge. They came out pretty good, if I may say so myself. They would have been better with some real butter in the pan, but I had no problem cleaning my plate.

I am bringing home the ham bone with what meat is on it. A ham and bean soup is in my near future. I'll just not add any salt until I taste the soup after cooking, and see if it needs it.

I may be cooking dinner tomorrow, or may not. They were thinking leftover ham in a mac-n-cheese -- Velvetta deluxe mac-n-chese. I offered to make a mac-n-cheese from scratch. It's weird situation. My family loves my cooking, but being a better cook than your mom can create family dynamics "issues."

"Will it have butter in it?"

"Yes, real organic butter, but it won't have Velvetta in it!"

CD

6. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I'm back home, and I snagged the ham bone from christmas dinner. There is a ham and bean soup in my not too distant future. :Thumbsup:

CD

7. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    I suspect you will not have to salt to taste. :)

I grew up on dinners from a can, so I appreciate anything that is made from scratch.

At least we used butter for the eggs at breakfast, lunch and brinner. :) :)

Don

8. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    The ham bone will indeed provide most of the salt. I will reserve any additional salting to the very end, after tasting.

My mom cooked 60s style when I was a kid. So, a lot of our food came from cans. I hated most vegetables as a kid, because most of them came from a can. My dad did manage to grow some pretty good tomatoes in the backyard, and home-grown tomatoes are awesome.

I hated meatloaf as a kid. Funny thing -- my mom made a meatloaf last Friday just in time for my arrival. I ate one slice. Just as dry and bland as I remember it, LOL. I make a pretty awesome meatloaf -- a smoked meatloaf. My dad could replicate it on his grill, but it is one of those things where you want to help, but don't want to offend your 82-year-old mom.

My dad readily accepts my cooking/grilling advice. He ruined more meat than I can measure as a kid, but now he's getting pretty good. To be honest, I ruined a lot of groceries when I was a young man, but I grew and learned. He has no problem with me telling him, "you're doing it wrong."

But, my dad is 84, has an iMac, a MacBook Pro, the latest iPad, and the latest iPhone, a wifi network with a network printer, and he rents movies on iTunes and sends them to the home-theater via AppleTV. He even has his iPhone linked by bluetooth to the audio system in his Audi A6 3.0T.

He shares my love for learning.

CD

9. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Burnt dry meatloaf is one of my childhood memories, Thankfully my wife does make a decent meatloaf, tonight is a Texas Chili Frittatta, if it worth I will post a picture later!

Don

10. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I think most people have bad memories of childhood meatloaf. But, once you get the hang of it, meatloaf can be a really good thing.

Let us know how the frittata turns out. When you say, "Texas Chili," do you mean chili peppers, or the chili we serve in a bowl down here?

CD

11. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    What do you eat for New Year's Day? Do you have a tradition? Take a picture tomorrow and post it here.

I don't have a food tradition for NYD. My parents always have pork chops slow cooked in sauerkraut. Or, I should say, pork chops way overcooked in sauerkraut. Hard to believe I didn't keep that tradition alive. :wink:

I'm making a ham and bean soup from the christmas ham bone. Pictures to come...

CD

12. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    NYD = the PA Dutch tradition of Pork roast in German sauerkraut and Mashed taters.

13. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Do you use a shoulder roast? That's what I've tried to get my mom to use. Shoulder is great for low and slow. Loin chops are not.

CD

14. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Not bowl chili, chili peppers, mild to medium hot, sadly canned. And it turned out well considering.

Of course I did take a couple pictures but will have to dig them out and post them up.

Tonight on New Years Eve, I think a simple Mac and Cheese will do :)

We had a great lunch out with friends at a local place, the Green Chili Verde was extra good and they sub'd corn tortilla for me. :)

Nope no pictures of that one, I had not see our lunch friends for about 5 years. :)

Enjoy your evening and eat as hearty as you want.

Don

15. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Happy New Year, indeed!!

16. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Kim made the same thing tonight Savvy. :Thumbsup:

17. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    Remind me to bring the recipe for the kraut to compare.

18. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    The ham and bean soup turned out great. This was one of my "shoot from the hip" cooks, so there isn't a real recipe.

CD

Attached Files:

19. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You remind yourself, I can remember what day it is. :lol::lol:

20. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member