Highly Modified JCW Roadster - Limp Mode and Engine Check Light Issues

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Charlespmeade, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Charlespmeade

Charlespmeade New Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Consultant
    Bronxville, New York
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You are corrrect! But we haven't even gotten to the tune yet. Looks like we have exhausted most of the rational reasons for the lack of boost and are now focusing on the JMTC turbo as the potential issue. Aaric from JMTC is talking to Helix Motorsports trying to figure out the next steps, short of returning the car to stock.

So I am leaving the Roaster in Philly for a fourth week of diagnostic trial and error. Can't wait to see the bill for this trip. Yikes!

I remain hopeful for a fix.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Eric is fair and he does not bill people like crazy for an issue he can not figure out.

3. Charlespmeade

Charlespmeade New Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Consultant
    Bronxville, New York
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that note. Helix has been very solid for me over the past 6 months. I will continue to stick with them, regardless of where we end up with the Roadster.

I am hopeful that the problem will get resolved this week. I am picking the car up, either way, this Friday afternoon. Hope for the best.

Thanks for all of your input.

4. Charlespmeade

Charlespmeade New Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Consultant
    Bronxville, New York
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So just got the Doctor's diagnosis back from Helix Motorsports. It apppears after attempting to locate the boost leak, we finally took a hard look at the 47mm turbo from JM Turbo. It appears that the waste gate had a minor failure, failed to close properly, and superheated air passing through the portal melted the lip of the opening. Not sure how this happened, as we had a brand new Militek catted downpipe installed at the same time, so we don't believe that this was due to a blockage in the exhaust system. Aaric at JM Turbo had a bunch of reasons why, but none of these answers fully aligned with the circumstances surrounding the car's use and history.

So what is next. Aaric is sending us a replacement that appears to have an upgraded wastegate mechanism and a few other engineering fixes. Perhaps the original turbo he sent me wasn't fully up to the task, as it failed in less than 4,000 miles of moderate street use. we will give JM Turbo another shot and see what happens.

Thoughts???

5. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ya I was a hard time getting my waste gate to seal as well and have the preload set way stiff. My Jm turbo made it about 500 miles before the DV disintegrated. I'm going to throw a different diverter on there and see if it makes boost. If it doesn't I'm going to pull the turbo yet again which is a major ball ache but it will give me a chance to take it apart and see if it really has upgraded internals. the 47mm is supposed to have ball bearing instead of journal bearing. Arric seems like a good dude and sounds like he will make things right but I'm not impressed so far..

Can you take some pics of the "upgraded" waste gate mechanism?

6. Charlespmeade

Charlespmeade New Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Consultant
    Bronxville, New York
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll get some photos posted this week. To be honest, Aaric seemed pretty defensive and a bit shaky on explanations. I am willing to give it another whirl, but just one more . I'll return to the stock JCW turbo if this one acts up again. Right now, I don;t have great confidence in JMT's product right now. But I remaain hopeful..

Stay tuned... Thanks for all of your comments. It's been quite an education.

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Hummmm :confused: Aftermarket Turbo problem on a 2nd gen MINI where have I heard that before......:idea: Oh right EVERYWHERE. :lol:

8. Charlespmeade

Charlespmeade New Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Consultant
    Bronxville, New York
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dave, We clearly don't know each other, but I would assume that you are a well meaning, and somewhat intelligent person. So take this in the spirit that it was intended.

Chat rooms like this are meant for like-minded individuals who share a passion for a particular subject to exchange thoughtful information within the framework of a positive environment. To date, you are living up to your own disclaimer, and really have shown yourself to be a bit of a sarcastic *******. I rarely waste my time, responding to people that exhibit these qualities in a public format, but I am hoping that you might exhibit a modicum of civility and decorum in future exchanges.

If not, don't bother weighing in...

Thanks.

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
  10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Hahahahaha you will learn to understand me as time goes on.

I am an a-hole to everyone. :lol: