Rally WRC WRC - 2017

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Steve, Sep 20, 2016.

1. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    You think?!

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Here's the rest.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mRoZBmnbPU"]WRC - Rally Guanajuato México 2017: Kris Meeke´s exit in SS19 - YouTube[/ame]

3. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    The car Meeke bumped into when he had that little off road excursion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdKjCIxvc6Y"]WRC - Rally Guanajuato México 2017: ONBOARD Kris Meeke / Power Stage exit - YouTube[/ame]

5. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WDwBZEOnek"]WRC - Rally Guanajuato México 2017: POWERSTAGE Review - YouTube[/ame]

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'm not sure i could be smiling if my car had just been crunched by the rally winner. On the other had & I'd never have parked where he did.

7. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    Well folks I made it there and back! Now I'm in CR. The whole visit from start to finish was amazing and I'm so happy we did not take the Mini......I'm going to write a full report soon once I've caught up at work.

8. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for the lateness of the report but on Monday I got the news that May 31st is my last day in CR with this company. Therefore I have some drastic decisions to make. Anyway back to Rally Mexico! I flew from Boston/Chicago/Mexico City on Wednesday the 9th with no issues. I met up with some dudes from Eurolamp then spent the night in Mexico City which gave me a chance to see the super special stage being set up. This stage is run around the Zocalo square where James Bond was filmed. I found Mexico city historic center quite impressive. The worst part was the cold weather! Yeah read cold!

Thursday we were up early to travel to Leon which we arrived to the hotel and service in the afternoon. We picked up our service passes and I took a tour of the service area while the guys got busy. With only 22 entries the service area was filled with the WRC guys and the minion’s got their service area at the back. I like the service area so I spent a lot of time talking to the technicians form various teams. Seeing as the start was changed at the last minute a lot of fans were in Leon instead of Mexico City. Due to this the service had a bigly TV screen with beers so we could watch the stages, as mentioned the weather was really cold and in Mexico City it was raining. This gave the crews some extra issues with grip and our Mini got wide and hit a barrier breaking the rear wheel.

The route change was partly political so move to Mexico City was not well received. The deal was the driver/co driver got free flights and the cars got free transportation with free buses for just 2 Technicians per team. The plan was to have the cars in Leon by 3am but a yuge accident delayed the cars until around 10:30am forcing the cancelation of 2 stages and more anger amongst the teams. The delay gave me more chance to walk the service area and prepare to drive to the Guanajuato street stage. This took about 2 hours due to the volume of traffic, once there I hung out at the stage start at a good vantage point due to my service pass. I got to see all the cars come in and start which was quite interesting. The poor Mini had a fire on the stages so looked very sad with a burnt asre!

At the start there was a Mini Cooper with the Red Bull can on the back so seeing as I was wearing a Mini T shirt the locals thought I was from Red Bull so I had to start signing auto graphs! Cool! Once the stages were done I joined the time control guys and hitched a ride back to Leon. Guanajuato is a beautiful town with fabulous underground streets but unfortunately I didn’t have much time to see the town. We got back at 11:30 pm, ate dinner then hit the bed at 12:30am. Saturday I had to be up at 4:30am so not much sleep! Saturday I spent all day on the stage in the cold wet weather! I took a lot of photos then left around 4pm. The good thing is I got to drive the stages so at least I can say I drove some of Rally Mexico! Woooo hoooo In the evening I was back in service and eating late again

Sunday was a later start due to I was exhausted. I went to service to meet M-Sports Malcolm Wilson and wait for Kris Meeke to arrive after the spectacular last stage finish. The service area was ecstatic when Kris showed up. The Citroen team had a ton of Sombrero’s to wear so the area was very exciting. After that the cars when to the podium finish which I saw on the Bigly screen as it was too far to walk to. After that is was amazing how quickly the service was dismantled and packed in containers. The Eurolamp guys had a converted container to store the Mini and EVO V recce car. In the evening we hit the bar and bumped into several WRC drivers and co-drivers. Kris Meeke, Dani Sordo, John Kennard and a few more for photos.

Monday I traveled back to Mexico City , ate out and then flew to CR on the Tuesday. Overall I really enjoyed the experience and met some new friends and important contacts but I thought the entry quality was quite poor. I upset an organizer by saying the event was like a clubman’s event! Oooops. Which to me it was with just 22 cars.

Photos to follow.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
  10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Hope that camera man had a filter on his lens. :D

11. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    They're in Corsica this weekend.

Friday in Corsica: Meeke leads on island asphalt (wrc.com)

12. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Meeke kept his lead through the first stage today, even pulled a few seconds further ahead of Ogier, and then on Stage 6...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XABlTmbxCqs"]WRC - Tour de Corse 2017: Kris Meeke´s engine issue in SS6 - YouTube[/ame]

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    That's sad.....

14. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Neuville opens up advantage as Ogier hits trouble (motorsport.com)
    Full article here: https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/corsica-wrc-neuville-opens-up-advantage-as-ogier-hits-trouble-891312/

15. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Not only have we had four different winning drivers from the first four rallies this year, it's also four different manufacturers! Apparently that hasn't happened since 1986 when it was Lancia, Peugeot, Renault & Toyota.

Neuville breaks victory jinx (wrc.com)

16. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    It's great not seeing one driver or team dominate. Makes for a much more interesting rally when there are several teams & drivers who can get it done. :Thumbsup:

17. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCCuQPDlVMY"]WRC Tour de Corse 2017 [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

18. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #198 Steve, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Testing.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt1s_lVqiWw"]Test Meeke- INSANE SPEED! - @_D10M_ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7UGugoCFwc"]TEST M SPORT SÉBASTIEN OGIER FORD WRC 2017 PORTUGAL - YouTube[/ame]

19. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    I'd give up my left one for a ride along.

20. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    What really happened to Meeke & Nagle on that last stage in Mexico?

Yes, they're milking this for all it's worth. I also think they could have hired some better actors. :D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYLTwJwxJz0"]#CitroënRacing True Story: ¿Qué pasó en el WRC de México? - YouTube[/ame]