Soooooo Whatcha Eating?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Metalman, Mar 20, 2010.

1. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    I pressure cook short ribs in beef bouillon with chopped onions and garlic. I thicken the bouillon after it's cooked and serve it with rice.
    The meat falls off the bone.

2. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Yes, yes, post the recipes here, is the Korean Short Ribs spicy or spicy to taste. :)

Some very good pictures being posted, I need to take more when Pat cooks. :) :)

Don

3. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
  4. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    It's what's for dinner![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    NOTE: This isn't short ribs, but all the same principles apply!

thought I had a build for my short ribs? :head scratch:

TATTRAT Asian Style "Country" Ribs

I love me some "country Style Big Boy" ribs, these are basically pork shoulders (Boston Buts) Sliced without worrying about the shoulder blade. They ALWAYS cook up tender, flavorful, and just luscious if you do 'em just right. You can do them a million and six different ways, for a change, here is something a littl on the Asian side, a little more Korean than anything, BUT, if you like sweet style, like a teriyaki style, you will want to give this a go.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED!

The Marinade:
    Rice Wine Vinegar
    Hoisin
    Soy, low sodium
    Brown Sugar
    Sweet chili sauce
    Sesame Oil
    Pear nectar
    Garlic
    Ginger
    Black Pepper
    Green Onion

[​IMG]

The majority of the marinade is going to be Soy sauce, and brown sugar, almost equal parts. You will be surprised at how much sugar it takes to take the bite off of the soy. I use low sodium because it's HEALTHY! lol. Hoisin is fermented sweet potato, so it has a sweetness of it's own, but is STRONG, use with caution. Use the rice wine vinegar (Mirin) to cut the sweetness a little. The pear nectar acts as a meat tenderizer and adds some sweetness. If you don't have access to it, use sprite, no bull ****, It works wonders.

It is essential that you let the pork marinate for at LEAST 24 hours. Up to 36 is fine.

***BEFORE COVERING ALL THE MEAT OF CHOICE, RESERVE ABOUT A CUP OF THE MARINADE. USE IT TO BASTE THE FINISHED PRODUCT UNDER THE BROILER SO THAT YOU CAN GET A LITTLE CRUST GOING ON***

[​IMG]

The Meat:
    Boneless Country Style ribs. You can use the marinade for almost ANYTHING. chicken, Pork, beef, even salmon. I love pork because it's where bacon comes from. I. Love. pork.

OFF WE GO!

Seriously, let the meat of choice marinate for at least 24 hours.

For this preparation, the pork was in the juice for 48. After that, it is simply a matter of firing up some saute pans in order to sear things off, get some color on the meat. . . remember, MORE COLOR=MORE FLAVOR.

Browning off:

[​IMG]

Once you have browned off the cuts, go ahead an put it in a deep enough pan to hold things, but also COVER. With the pork, you want to kind of steam things while it cooks, it will break down the connective tissues better, and make for a fork tender cut. Also, for thicker cuts, deglaze the pan with beer, or water, and put into the pan you are going to do the cooking in. It helps. It's booze in food. It makes the pan drippings MO BETTER!

Put everything into a roasting pan, or something that you can wrap with foil with no issue. . .

In Pan, With deglazed pan jus

[​IMG]

Cover the top with foil, cling the sides, and let that thing go low and slow, I did these fro 3 hours at 280 degrees.

If this is chicken, so long as it's covered, the same table applies, if it is beef, it depends on the cut, use your judgement. . .if seafood, a whole side of salmon should go for no longer than 35min.

For the last 15min of cooking, remove the cover and put under the broiler. Broil under as high as the oven will allow, and let the fat render out so that things are crispy, the sugars in the sauce caramelize, and everything just gets dark and nice.

Serve with Steamed rice, and some simple veggies. Super simple, Super good!! Fork tender, with wonderful little crispy bits!

[​IMG]

6. TATTRAT

Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    Cook 5 star, eat no star, a motto I go by...also, if you are what you eat, I am cheap, fast and easy!

Brisket Dogs, Split Top Buns browned in leftover Thyme & Garlic Butter, Maui Onion Chips

[​IMG]

7. TATTRAT

Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    A plate, btw I fricking' LOVE trader Joes, everytime I go in there, I kick myself for not having been back sooner, but these are pre fab, I did do some sauce and sides, as a dry run for dessert for Friday night.

[​IMG]

Brulee on one, Middle got a white balsamic raspberry coulis, the Opera cake got a moca reduction.

8. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Looks really good. But, while you were at the asian market why not grab a big bottle of Korean BBQ Marinade? I use it all the time on short ribs and just slow cook them on the grill. I usually do country style ribs on my smoker. I think I might give your marinade a try on my next batch. Thanks for posting your recipe.

9. TATTRAT

Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    Simply because I prefer to tweak it to my tastes, that's all.

10. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    #1530 old81, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  11. TATTRAT

Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sous Vide Berkshire Pork Tenderloin w/ Ginger Cider Gastrique, Fondant Potato, Roasted Rainbow Carrots & Pearl Onions, Minted Pea Puree, Bing Cherry Dust

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Got me some TATTRAT Korean marinade ribs doing their thing in the refrigerator now for the past 36 hours.

They'll be going in the oven soon for some "Low and Slow" cooking..:D

13. TATTRAT

Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    Sous Vide Ribeye w/ Balsamic Espagnole, Roasted Garlic, Thyme, Whipped Potatoes, Guinness Marinated Onion Ring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^ OK, you had me a Rib eye and Guinness Marinated Onion Rings. <-- now that's a great Salad or at least that's what I am tell my dr.

15. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    i have to ask, TATTRAT, are you a professional food photographer? :)

Nicely done!

16. TATTRAT

Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    I'm a Chef with a passion for photography...and food! Photography is all I'm leaving to this world, so I shoot a LOT. Feel free to check out my flickr in my sig.

17. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    It appears you do both well!

Keep them coming, mine are snaps of some of the better dinners prepared by my wife with my input for things to add.

Sometimes she does and most times she does not!

:)

18. TATTRAT

Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    #1538 TATTRAT, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Looking like I will be doing a pop up restaurant at a buddies place, limited to say 35 people. GOnna do a play on kid food/simple foods, so far, this is what I've done for the menu. I have a lot of the concepts for plating already in my noggin, so once confirmed, I'll get to doing the dry run on items well before the event. Going to utilize some of the great farms I find when I go on joyrides out in the country.

Feel free to offer any feedback/criticism.

Attached Files:

19. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Had a Paco Burger at Al's Burger Shack in Chapel Hill this afternoon.

20. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I did some rotisserie chicken for mom's day, and some Jamaican rice and peas. A little Caribbean meal for mom. No pictures -- sorry.

CD