Pre Migration Classifieds Section - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Sully, May 14, 2017.

1. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Lets discuss the classifieds section. I realize the classifieds section has been a bit of a challenge recently. With the SSL updates the "new" visual section is having some issues which can be fixed. Since I will be in there working on it, I figured this is a good time gather your feedback.

I have a few concepts:

1) Revert back to the way it has been in the past. I.e. 100% thread based.
    2) Modify the classifieds to where only cars are posted to that "new" area and parts remain in the threads. In some ways I like this as I think when looking for a car, this provides the option to quickly see multiple cars at the same time and for more pictures etc. However for parts I think its a bit more challenging when posting multiple parts etc.
    3) I understand there are other ways within the forum SW to handle classifieds. I'm researching this.

Ultimately I would like know what you would like to see moving forward. Ideally if you have examples or other reference sits I can look at that would be great. That will allow me to know what functionality to look at and try to make happen.

I'm in the early phases of trying to fix this permanently.

Let me know your thoughts.

2. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Within the classified section have a separate section for vehicles for sale and separate sections for the three generations parts.

3. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Ok - so all cars go to one thread, all parts are only broken down by the generation. I.e you would remove the wheel's and tires, classic, an Mini related sections?

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Rims and Tires should have a separate sections by generation. Just like used parts for sale.

5. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    My mistake not thinking about the Classic Mini parts. Add a section for Mini Related such as die cast models, memorabilia, etc.

6. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    OK - so lets ask a different question. Who is on NAM, rennlist, or other forums? Do you like their classifieds (or other places)? If so why/why not and what would make ours better?

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
  8. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Good point - assuming folks know about these other ones.
    Rennlist (yes - it's not MINI.. but just looking for idea's) - https://rennlist.com/

Is there something specific you are wanting me to look at on NAM?

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    no I miss read your post.......it was late:frown2:

10. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Any advice for improvement you choose to accept will only be just that... An Improvement.

The classifieds have absolutely SUCKED here for quite some time. So much so, that I resorted to listing ALL of my MINI parts on NAM. Not only that, but I listed my '05 R53 there as well and sold it there to a great young guy from Utah. I have sold everything I have listed there rather easily and will likely continue as I part ways with some unneeded Classic Mini parts. Most of my Classic Mini stuff will be better suited to be sold over on the Mini Mania site.

You need to make it more user friendly to post photos on the new classifieds page too! The current format you use for posting pictures is far too complicated from when the M/A site was in a fuller swing a few years ago. I realize that programs change, but neither of the other two car sites I belong to are as difficult to post photos on as this one. Both are very well presented and are highly populated.

11. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I don't think you really misread his post... Your NAM response was spot on.

Sully, I think you ought'a take a look at their Classifieds format and hit the "Ditto" key.

12. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Understood, agree and I have reviewed NAM and others. There will be changes near term to update/fix. Thus the discussion.

Firebro17 - you mentioned the Ditto key. Is there anything you would change/modify in the way they or anyone else has it laid out?

Appreciate the feedback, good or bad..

13. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
  14. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Sully, there may be no perfect way to provide a streamlined means for listing cars and parts for sale. Your gearslutz link seems interesting. I have always preferred to see some separation between models when viewing parts for sale. Separating the Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3 and Classic Minis is a necessity in my view. Maybe not so much of an importance when listing cars for sale, but a nice feature just the same. NAM doesn't really do a good job at all in policing the Classic Mini posts. Maybe they don't fully understand what a Classic really is... Doesn't matter though, as the NAM isn't the website of choice for the Classic enthusiast.

What ever you choose to do with respect to fixing M/A, it will be a welcome advancement over the current process. Thanks for the effort.