2nd Gen JCW Weird sound coming from the car.

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by haliphics, May 17, 2017.

1. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So the other day I noticed a sound coming from somewhere in the car. It sounds like under the car but my friend also said it sounds like the around the engine. It only happens around 1400-2100 rpms in every gear. But it only happys when I let up around that or sometime around when I shift at 4k. It makes a "Tsssst" sound. Sometimes long and other really short. I put a video for reference. I just recently put in thr alta air intake and a OBX Catless Down Pipe and deletes the resonator. And only started to happen after the downpipe and resornator delete.

https://youtu.be/slRwd2Bdk6M

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Sounds like a heat shield rattle to me, get the car up in the air and bump the exhaust with a rubber mallet till you can locate the source of the sound.

3. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Not sure myself. I have the Alta intake and a Miltek exhaust, but I did have a heat shield rattle that was pretty easily taken care of before the two of those mods happened.

I will say that the Alta intake does make for a much louder whoosh and blow off when under load, though you'll have to be lugging the engine a bit to hear it. I did also get a GFB diverter valve which reduced that somewhat.

I'm not sure that's what I'm hearing though, so look at the heat shield first.

4. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    It is hard to tell from that clip, but to me, it sounds like the diverter valve releasing pressure. That would be a normal sound. Without actually standing next to the car, that's the best response I can give.

CD

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I can't tell.