Photobucket

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Minidave, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Returning to the root of the thread, I just don't get why there's no option here any more to just post a pic from the computer without all the hassle of a photo program. Sorry but I just don't have the time to screw around with like that.

2. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0

3. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    ^^^ The KISS Principle is always the best. Step outside the box, go back in time, or what ever you want to call it... just make it an easy process so we can stay in business.

4. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Agreed, need to see if the functionality is built in or if I need to so something "special"

5. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    All -

I've been doing some research on this. A few things I've learned so far and a few responses the the comments:
    1) This has hammered a lot of forums. For newer forum platforms some scripts have already been made to bypass this challenge (more on that later). Since we are running an older forum software, I have not found anything yet. That said, I imagine something will show up.. and I'm researching what it will take to migrate the site to a new platform. :D
    2) If you are trying to look at a picture that was hosted on Photobucket and the user has not removed the picture you still can with a PIA work around. To see the picture:
    a) Right click on the picture and choose "Open in New Tab" or "Open in New Window."
    b)The picture will show up in the new tab/window.

Firebro17 - to your comment:
    You can upload directly from you PC or phone. To do this:
    1) When you are posting, next to "Post quick reply" is "Go Advanced. Click on "Go Advanced"
    2) Scroll down below "Additional Options" and click on "Manage Pictures and Attachments."
    3) That will open a pop up and you can choose the pictures from you PC or phone.
    4) NOTE - there is a size limitation. I'm looking to see what it will take to re-implement the auto re-sizer (I understand it once worked on this site). It will require you to resize the picture.

I realize a better user experience would be clicking on the "picture" icon above the text screen. I'm looking into that and the ability to auto re-size pictures.

Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out a way to fix the following:
    1) Some way to recover the broken links by the PB change.
    2) Simple way for you to edit your old post/pictures if you want to upload them directly to the site
    3) If we can modify the "Picture" icon to show the option to upload the pictures to the site. Many people may not know about the "Attach Pictures and Files" option under the Advance section of posting.

More on this as I find out more.

Josh

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Sully thanks for working through this. It is very much appreciated.

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Josh, thanks for working on this......I upload a few pics using the dialog box, but they're always thumbnails, if you could set it up to where they are full sized, that would help. The other issue with using the dialog box is that you can't put the pic in the sequence you're typing, they always appear at the bottom of your post.....it's a minor thing, but I like to write my discussion, then put the pic in to illustrate what I wrote....

8. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Minidave,

Thanks for the feedback, let me check into how/if we can adjust that so pictures can flow within the text instead of at the bottom. Regarding uploading pictures and them only showing up as thumbnails, can you provide a little more context? What OS is your computer and browser type?

This weekend I uploaded the ones on the Caffeine and Octane thread and they show up in full size. Here is the URL:
    https://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/mini-stuff/29725-caffeine-octane-atl-tomorrow-morning.html

9. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Let me try one.......
    Ok, so that works now, great!

Attached Files:

10. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Any time that I post pictures (and not a link to Flickr), it is usually from my phone. I find it so much easier to attach pictures via tapatalk since I have usually already dumped then in an album on FB.

My current process for saving all my pictures is:

1. Save the images from the camera to a named folder (usually the date) on laptop
    2. Processed photos from Lightroom get saved in an additional folder on laptop
    3. Upload processed photos to a dated Flickr album
    4. Upload processed photos to a dated/named album on FB

I need to find my external hd so I can back up all the photos on the laptop. Also need to educate myself on the cloud storage in Lightroom.

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    You sure want to have those photos backed up in a couple of places. Otherwise :shocked:

12. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Remember when all you had to do to save your photos was pick them up from the PhotoHut and put them in a box in the closet?

13. Rainman768

Rainman768 Active Member

May 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Even then I had an off-site backup. I would order two copies and give one to someone else that may be associated with the photos. :)

14. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Regarding backup of photo's you can use a number of solutions. I currently use icloud, dropbox, or google drive. I also have an external drive. I'm trying to see if there is a vBulletin script that will automatically pull in pictures hosted on other sites. That way if something changes like what PB did, the pics are not gone. Some newer platforms have this type of functionality.. Haven't found that yet on vB. But still looking.

15. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Sully... Thank you, I know how to post pictures and never had any problems in the past... I'm not going to go through the rigors of resizing for the sake of it. I know it's probably just me, but it's the choice I've made.

16. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Is anyone else getting "page not found" when trying to access your albums from your profile page?

17. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  18. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Red Bull,

I just tried to add an album from my profile and it went to page not found. However if I use the link rkw provided, I can add and album. I'll look into this.

Thanks for letting me know.

19. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, when I tried to use the link provided by RKW none of my pics or albums showed, but I didn't try to add anything. On my profile page the albums show with the key photo, but when you click on the link to enter them is when the page not found happens.

20. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    All - sorry this is part of the issues we are seeing. I'm working through it.. hoping to have it fixed very soon.