MINI to enter IMSA's new (for 2018) TCR class

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by Steve, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    LAP Motorsports Spearheading MINI TCR Project (sportscar365.com)
    Full article: http://sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/lap-motorsports-spearheading-mini-tcr-project/

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Not sure how I feel about this.........spec-type racing is not what I want to see. It's why I hate DTM, same cars with different paint a-la NASCRAP.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I see where you're going re silhouette cars, etc, and I agree, but I don't think this is a silhouette series.

The TCR class doesn't mandate a spec chassis to which manufacturers/teams then shape a model-mimicking body shell. It looks to me like just another class for IMSA, slotting between GS and ST, and the commonality they're talking about is that if a team wants to run in any series with a TCR class they buy their TCR-built Audi, Ford, Honda, Alfa Romeo, Kia, Subaru, Volkswagen or MINI from the manufacturer (or a manufacturer-designated builder) and it's the same car (more or less) regardless of series or country they choose to run it in.

Rather than a spec series, each manufacturer has a single spec TCR model that then fits any/all TCR series'.

At least, I think that's how it works. If so, it means a team can run in any series with a TCR class without making many (if any) alterations to their cars.

If anyone understands this better than I've explained it, please jump in and educate the rest of us.

I'm not a fan of Wikipedia as a reference but just this once...here's their summary of the technical regs:

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    That's kinda what I was alluding to. Don't care for the look of the Audi TCR running in PWC, so would hate to see even more of the "boy racer" type of cars.