Pre Migration Site Update

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Sully, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    All,

I wanted to provide a quick update.

Based on the recent issues and some of the long term challenges of managing an older forum software I began looking into new platforms, their functionality, speed, etc. Based on my research many of the new platforms provide a lot of new integrated features not available to us without heavy custom development. Over the next few weeks I will be testing some options. During this time, there will be some work done on the server. In theory none of the testing or server modifications should impact the current site.

At this point, I just wanted to let you know what we are working on to potentially improve the overall usability. If over the next few weeks you see any new issues please let me know. Once the testing is complete, I will provide an update with a proposed plan.

If have any questions please do not hesitate to respond to this thread or PM me.

Thanks,

2. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Awesome. Thanks for the hard work.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  4. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Lets see how this goes. Working on setting stuff up today for initial testing. :)

5. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Members,

I wanted to provide a quick update regarding the site migration. I spent the last week working on preparing the server for the initial test migration. If all goes well, the initial test migration will be complete and I can begin working on organizing the site and testing the initial functionality. Once everything is stable in the default setup I will then work on some of the additional functionality etc. At this point we are a few weeks away from have a site that is close to being ready for full testing and migration (partially because I have a vacation in the middle of it).

Either way, I wanted to let you know things are progressing along. As always if you have any questions, thoughts, ideas please let me know.

Have a great weekend,

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Thanks for the update Sully....

7. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    All -

This update is way overdue! Needless to say the site migration has been a bit more challenging than initially anticipated. There were some significant challenges with the data migration that required extensive scripting to automate and some will need to be handled manually once the rest of the data is migrated over. If you have any interest in testing the site in advance, please let me know. I would love to have a other members begin looking at the site. If you are interested, please send me a PM and I will walk you through where we are and how to test. The more folks we have looking at it the better it will be on day one.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!