El Señor Cooper.

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Onebunchmin, Aug 2, 2017.

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    There are people that like Alta here but I wont spent my money with them any more. They were less then helpful and down right snotty when I bought a part from them that arrived damaged. We have several good venders that support the community. They are very helpful when you have questions. Last Week both Chad at Detroit Tuned and Jan at RMW returned my call when I had questions about my R58. eminiParts and Outmotoring are two others I have got great service with. just my .02 worth.

So Back to your build its really looking good. You know once you start down the modding road you can't stop. I was reminded by my better half the other day I was supposed to sale my 02 S not spend more money when I said something about another mod. I don't think she was real happy when I said something about Meth for the R58. If I get in trouble its Dave and Jan fault.

2. Onebunchmin

Onebunchmin New Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of Meth. My excuse is that with the money I spend on my car. I won't have eniugh money for a drug addiction lol.

So in some ways this is healthy. :p

3. Onebunchmin

Onebunchmin New Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload photos to internet

Small Bump. The Header has been ceramic coated and bead blasted and is awaiting installation. Also found out the strap holding the left back box just detached. No rust or damage. Just let go. So now I may have to replace the whole exhaust which I didn't want to do so soon.

4. Onebunchmin

Onebunchmin New Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I Installed the Header with all new OEM gaskets and ARP Stainless Hardware on the manifold side and two new OEM Nuts on the Exhaust side. Fit seems to be just fine. No notable exhaust leaks noises. BUT I am noticing a loud hissing under acceleration. Keep in mind I'm still running the crappy stock exhaust system from the cat back which I will replace when funds allow. Also notice the stock exhaust strap that just let go in the last pic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  6. Onebunchmin

Onebunchmin New Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If it leaks than it leaks, although I don't hear any loud bangs or any muffled tapping noises like with some exhaust leaks. I'll look into it in a bit.

I don't have 1200 bucks to spend on an RMW or Milltek header. There's a good exhaust shop locally that can tweak out any imperfections if need be. I'll try out those Gaskets sometime. Thanks.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nobody ever has the money to do the job right the first time with quality parts, but always has money to do it a second time with the correct parts.

I just never understand people that are cheap.

8. Onebunchmin

Onebunchmin New Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I were cheap than Id buy a Geo Metro and worry about gas mileage. Or I'd buy an OBX LSD instead of the Wavetrac. Hell, id probably put in raceland coilovers and an ebay exhaust by now. And put in those Autozone brake pads.

I'm waiting for funds to pool up. But I can't go around with an open exhaust. That's my reason. I really don't want to argue about it.
    I'll find out tomorrow what the issue is.

Thanks for posting.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Hay now lets take it easy on the OBX stuff, I have their headers! :eek:

10. Onebunchmin

Onebunchmin New Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well it IS easier to replace a header over a diff. And if a header fails, you let a leak. But if a diff fails....good chance it takes everything else out with it.

Does your header leak? Any issues?

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Nope no leaks no issues. It's on my R53. I have had it 5 or so years. For sure a RMW header would be better but I got it at a time when I did not have much money to spend on it. I would not go cheep on the cat back though. If I ever do a build like Dave has done then better headers are a must but I have the R58 now and that is what I will be spending my money.

12. Onebunchmin

Onebunchmin New Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the same position you were in. I'm glad it turned out fine for you.

13. Onebunchmin

Onebunchmin New Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Update on the exhaust: The header is fine and so is the coating. Which is doing it's job just fine. I removed the heat sheilds above the header and I don't see any evidence of heat damage or feel anything in the cabin whatsoever in terms of heat increase. I'll be getting an invidia Exhaust soon because they're the only ones who make a 2.36 inch exhaust for this car to match up with my header.

So I better buy a vape pen and join the Subie gang :p.

14. Onebunchmin

Onebunchmin New Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #34 Onebunchmin, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Bump: So I took my car to it's first set of autocross events back to back. I had a blast and won a trophy..........for being the only one in my run group lol. I sucked ass but had a blast. That's all that mattered. The second day it rained and got to test out that LSD. My driving skills, tires and suspension were the limiting factors. All will be replaced in due time.

However there was a couple of casualties. My WMW Motor mount (It wasn't a Vibratechnics mount like I mentioned earlier. My apologies) sheared off causing the flex pipe to rip. My new OEM intercooler boot on the left side also tore open. And my radiator was leaking.....again.

Here are some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload images

So a new Double wall'd flex pipe was welded for a good price since the flex pipe was in an easy location. Which in turn also fixed the hissing noise.

A new CSF Radiator was sent under warranty. But if this one leaks again then i'll be getting a Mishimoto.

But I'm really happy about the motor mount. Since WMW never saw one of their motor mounts fail, they sent me another one 6 months out of the warranty period if I sent the old one back. They didn't have to do that but I'm shocked that they did. WMW is awesome for doing that.

I also got some DDM Works silicone Intercooler boots since the price was MUCH better than the OEM boots.

I had some idling issues and lack of mid throttle power so I took out both of the MAP sensors and sprayed them with MAF cleaner. MUCH better. The car feels more noticeably alive after doing so.