F1 2017 - F1

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Nathan, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    That's pretty good.....:biggrin5:

So, if Vettel gets a good start the race is probably his, but if there's a big kefluffle in the first turn, and enough safety cars, who knows? The race could go to anyone......

The Ferraris sure came to life in Qually, prior to that I thought it was going to be Reds Bull ad Mercs in the front two rows.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Should be a good race. The Red Bulls could pull an upset. I'm sure MAX is all about the win while Vettel needs to remember the championship. Gonna be a fun first lap.

3. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I liked what Hamilton said (jokingly) in his post qualifying interview. " "But he's got Verstappen right next to him so..anything can happen at the start"

4. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Whoa, he was clairvoyant.

5. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    What a waste.....he's just about given both championships to Mercedes.

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I guess that's what Vettel gets for trying to block Max. He'd have been much better off had he thought of the championship & not being first at turn one. I feel sorry for Max, Kimi & his team not for Vettel. What a bonehead move. Lewis should send him a thank you note, what a gift. All & all after turn one it was a pretty boring race.

The championship is not over. Ferrari won't win the constructors, but a red car still could be driven to the drivers championship. I think it will close.

7. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    They said Vettel moved over to cover Max for the turn, he could not see Kimi on the other side of Max or he would have left more room......
    No excuse, but I think both championships are over in Mercedes favor.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    All the camera angles on that first corner (+) incident.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2T1_VrTcoo"]Singapore's Start-line Crash: All The Camera Angles - YouTube[/ame]

9. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Did Vettel ever ---- up.

10. MoBoost

MoBoost Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I know the chop move isn't illegal, but what he did was dangerous; took out multiple cars. There are six races left for him and Ferrari to get back the points, but it would only be fair if he loses the driver's championship as a result of that.

11. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Vettel would have had the inside line as the first corner was a right turn. This might have given Verstappen the inside on turn turn two. In the past, I've remember seeing Verstappen take off Vettel's front wing in a similar move in a previous race. All pole sitters have done a similar move in previous races. This is a dangerous and legal move that makes F1 race starts exciting. Vettel probably should have been going a bit faster before making the chop in wet weather conditions, so certainly, he is to blame, but I would agree with the stewarts that is it a racing incident. It's definitely not Verstappen's fault, but in races, when you get sandwiched like that, you have a split second choice to slow down and admit defeat that you got passed on both sides, or you veer left slightly to avoid the car you can see. Perhaps a bit of inexperience, Verstappen turned left slightly, enough to make contact with Kimi. The term "never let up" is ingrained in most driver's heads so knowing when to ignore that advice is not an easy thing to do, especially in a split second decision. Kimi, for his part had a fantastic start and just happen to have that kind of start in the wrong race. Wished he had that kind of start more often in dry weather.

12. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I was more annoyed at Alonso being an innocent bystander in that mess. He was having the best start of the race, running up the field, and then gets knocked out, no fault of his own.

Really disappointing.

13. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    Well..... Alonso and Verstappen are competing for the most retirements this year, are they not? :frown2:

14. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    The saddest men in F1, that's for sure.

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I think Palmer might be the saddest man. Although Vettle had to be pretty sad with all the points he gifted Hamilton & Benz. Of course I'm sure Vettel has placed blame on someone else.

16. minirab

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    His book will be called "What The %@&# Happened".

17. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I'm sure the media is portraying it that Vettel is blaming everybody else. From his remarks at the time of the crash, and Vettel apologizing to his team, I'm thinking he knew he *^&%'d up that one.

From dealings with media, I know they only quote what they want to quote.

Not trying to sound like I'm protecting Vettel. But hey....did you see how great Hamilton's start was? He passed everybody and was in the lead after turn two. Other than Alonso, I was sort of hoping Ricciardo or Stroll would win the race. or even Hulkenberg.

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Vettel is too good to be doing stupid stuff like that. I don't want the championship to be decided by Vettel's turn one DNF. It should be decided on track man against man. Hamilton had a great start & much luck getting through the carnage with no damage.

19. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
  20. minirab

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Wonder if he drives with his left blinker on?