Pre Migration Site Migration - November 30th (Postponed - date TBD)

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Sully, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    All,

I wanted to provide you with a quick update regarding the migration. We are scheduled to kick off the migration November 30th around 6am EST. At that point the site will be unavailable for around 20 hours if all goes well.

As mentioned in the previous post, this will be a phased migration primarily based on the amount of data and manual effort I need to complete.

The focus for day 1 will be:
    • Forums, Gallery, Garage, Albums migrated (the majority of the site)
    • Updated UI and forum organizational changes will be implemented
    • Site downtime = ~20 hours

Items we are trying to get migrated day one… time will tell
    • Updated Classifieds (Format – there will still be manual migration needed to move active listings into the new format
    • Library…. I’m trying to have most of this day one

Questions I’ve already received:
    • Will the little MINI icon at the bottom of the current site be on the new site? Yes.
    • Will I be able to minimize forums so I don't have to scroll past them? Yes – you can minimize the categories.
    • Is mobile going to be easier to use? Yes – the new platform is “responsive†and will adjust based on the device and screen size you have.
    • What happens with our Avatar, do we need to change it? Yes/No – on the current site rectangular avatars are accepted. On the new site they will be square. It will try to “auto†adjust your avatar. Ideally you can either adjust yours (the platform allows for some of this) or choose a square one that is at least 200x200 pixels. (Steve is working on a "how to")

If you have a lot of PM’s this next question is important:
    Will PM’s move to the new platform? Yes (mostly)
    XenForo doesn't handle PM's like email, instead it’s called "Conversations" which is essentially a private thread. I think members will like this especially those who have a bunch of back and forth chatter. With this type of structure there isn’t a “Sent.†So essentially everything is being copied over, but doesn't work the same way. If you want to keep your sent PM’s you will need to download them. Here is how:
    • At the bottom of the Private Messages page are some links for: Download all Private Messages as XML - CSV – Txt
    • Just click on each of those choices and you'll get a download file in your PC's download folder in either XML format, Comma Separated Values (spreadsheet format), or Plain Text.
    • The files will be named using your MA user name. For example: privatemessages-USERNAME-TODAYS DATE.csv
    • Each file contains all of your current Inbox and Sent PM messages.
    • These files are easily searchable on your PC to look up old PM messages, specifically sent ones.

Ultimately, I know there will be some bugs, fixes, etc. I will be working as fast as I can to fix those while also listening to feedback and answering any how to questions. Once the dust settles, I think you will find it easier to navigate, share pictures, stories and discuss different topics.

As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Josh

2. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    For a non-techie I hope I can figure it out.

3. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Me to, trying to make it easier and not harder. :) I know there will be a little bit of "how do I do this now" as there are some nuances between the platforms. However concepts are still the same.... and I'm always open to feedback. There will be a dedicated section the first few weeks to track issues, suggestions and to explain some of the differences. If you like, I'm more than happy to walk you through it.

4. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    ditto :fingerscrossed:

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    It’s different but I think everyone is going to like it. I also think it’s a great improvement just give yourself time to learn the new sight.

Sully and Steve, thanks for all the time you guys have spent on this update. Just to let everyone know they have spent some long nights working on it.

6. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    MCS02 - thanks, but you have also been apart of the long nights! I really appreciate the help and feedback.

7. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Quick update - Steve found a bug in the site yesterday. I'm working through that today. If that bug persist, we may have to move the migration date. I'm working through that today.

8. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I’m going to consolidate all the “fear of change†posts ahead of time.

*ahem*

OH NOES! :confused::cryin::incazzato::eek:ut::prrr::skep:

Ok, with that out of the way all subsequent or future gripes are rendered void. ;)

Best of luck with this - I know it’s a huge effort, and people may grumble at first, but we have confidence in you, and Thanks for all your hard work!

:Thumbsup:

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    So we are going to be forced into the F56 of websites............

:p:D

10. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Lol - that really did make me laugh. Doing my best. Still working through an issue to determine go/no go. Will update folks in a little while, but it most likely will be "no-go" as I will want to test the bug fix. :arf:

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Good luck Sully. I'm sure you & your minion's can get the job done. Thanks for the hard work everyone.

[​IMG]

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

I was going to say the same thing. :lol::lol::lol:

13. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    So, I’ve been working on the site and the bug. We made some progress but we are not there yet. So I’m calling it off. I will have an update tomorrow regarding next steps.

Let me know if you have any questions -

14. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Welp..... I went to bed las night with my brand new tennis shoes...

Did we miss the comet?:eek:

15. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Awesome. It will be faster and better looking.

Only the luddites who fear new technology and change will complain for no reason.

16. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Wait for it...... :incazzato:

[​IMG]

17. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    :lol:

18. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Please note the key word here is 'found' rather than caused. :eek: And I don't think I was even the first to notice it.

I'd also like to point out that this sort of setback is incredibly frustrating to Josh (Sully), but he doesn't show it or complain while he's been forced to devote far more time and energy to this project than he could possibly have imagined.

It's a significant design change not being done just for the sake of change but to make things work better. It's sort of like buying a new car even though you love the old one because it's just getting too difficult to maintain. In the end, though you miss your beloved old car the new one ends up making up for it through low maintenance and improved function and creature comfort...hopefully.

19. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Thanks Steve - great summary. Ultimately, this change should keep many of the things we really like about the current platform while providing new functionality, ease of use and stability. To Steve's comments, there are some differences but I really do think it will be good overall once we all get used to the new platform. So far we have had a few members who have jumped on the test site and provided good feedback and pretty positive comments.

It's been a lot of work and it will be even post migration for a few weeks. That said, if anyone wants to see it in advance let me know. I'll be more than happy to walk you through it personally. Its a great time to do this and provide feedback in advance. Every time someone new see's it their feedback helps me understand better what is important and how each member is using certain functionality etc.

Regarding the revised date of the migration, I'm still working with the team on this. Schedules are busy this time of year which is causing some difficulty.

As always, love the feedback and let me know if you have any questions!

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I think Steve caused the bug...........You know what they say scolded dog yelps the loudest:D