2nd Gen R56 Cooper S M7 Ram-2 Hood Scoop

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Dwight, Aug 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Just ordered M7's Ram-2 scoop and will do the install. Has anyone done this and are there any hassles to watch for? I've already got their turbo heat shield so the composite scoop should be OK. Just trying to lower the under hood temp as much as possible to save the paint. FYI: Yup, my OEM scoop drooped, replaced and drooped again. I gave up. Probably what the dealer wanted all along. :incazzato:

2. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #2 Nitrominis, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

3. ZugZugMcD

ZugZugMcD New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Pasadena, Maryland
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I bought the same scoop but have not installed it. The instructions appear to be clear and it doesn't look like you should have any trouble. One hole to drill but you should have received the appropriate size bit.

My scoop is still in the box because I can't decide now whether or not I want it. See...I just had viper stripes put on and they go right over the Chili Red OEM scoop. Looks really sweet, IMO :D

4. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Hot M7 Heat Shield

Of course the shield was hot. The whole engine bay is being "warmed" by heat from the turbo, radiator, intercooler and A/C condenser. When driving the heat gets blown thru. When you stop, the bay turns into an oven. You can literally cook dinner in there (cook books are available). I was thinking about that Thermal stuff on the hood just to protect the paint. Also toying with wrapping it around the air box intake tube to lower the intake air temp. Might be a CAI that actually brings in cold outside air! My gauges show a 20-30 degree difference between outside temps and air intake temps. :idea:

5. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    M7 Ram2 Scoop And Air Intake Temp

Put the M7 scoop on last night. Final sword into the heart of the scoop droop dragon. Took Beelzebub out mid-day in stop & go traffic to see if there was any change in intake air temp. Didn't really expect any. BIG SURPRISE!! My ScanGauge had been showing temps ~30 degrees above ambient in that kind of driving. Today, it held steady at ~10 degrees over ambient! Have I accidentally stumbled across a true COAI (Cold "Outside" Air Intake)? Am now more seriously looking at wrapping the air inlet tube in that aerogel backed silver foil blanket stuff. :idea:
    When I pulled the 2nd OEM scoop off, I saw/felt why the 1st one and everybody else's melted. Typical over-engineering and then made with cheap, POS plastic. Also discovered the M7 heat shield doubles as a dandy tool rest!
    I BE VERY HAPPY CAMPER :lol: :Thumbsup: :yesnod:
    Dwight
    PS: Scoop looks nasty against DS/B.

Attached Files:

6. Pradog85

Pradog85 New Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking for a RED HOOD SCOOP

hey guys I really need ur help... 2 weeks ago, I was driving on hwy n my hood scoop flew again..n was unable to find it...please if u have one I prefer red color I really need it cux my car look so bad without one...

please email me at [email protected]

Hope to hear from someone...

Thanks