End the season with another 1st out of 11 by 2.7 sec in SMF class in Hershey, PA

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by jetsr6, Nov 8, 2017.

1. jetsr6

jetsr6 Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Driver
    Loganton, PA
    Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I went back to Hershey, Pa the following weekend after testing out my Hoosier A7’s. Was a lot of excitement because there was over 160 drivers there from all over surrounding states. With this being my first year I still have a lot to learn but I ended up doing pretty good. Here’s the list of mods and a video with probably my longest slide LOL. Feel free to ask any questions. Plan on dropping some weight over the winter and upping the RPMs with a new tune. Don’t really need the extra horsepower just so I can go to a higher MPH in second.

Mod list

2007 Mini Cooper S

K&N typhoon cold air intake

JCW turbo

Kompack dual port bov

3 inch downpipe

CNT mid pipe with resonator

Magnaflow cat back muffler exhaust

eBay intercooler (bad idea)

HFS3 Aquamist water meth injection (best idea)

BC racing coilovers

23 mm rear sway bar set to stiffest setting

Hawk HP plus pads

OEM rotors

Hoosier A7 tires (had Federal RSR’s)

Powerflex bushings throughout

Quaife LSD

OS Gliken Touring flywheel and clutch

Manic stage 3 tune

GoNMF oil additive

This was done spread out over a year

Ran SCCA SMF class. Three 1st places. One 3rd place.

In Central Pennsylvania Region Ten 1st places out of ten in the novice group based on PAX times.

​​​​​​​https://youtu.be/0w-siZXelU0

2. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Cool vid. Nice production/editing.

There were a couple sweepers you could have taken faster. Maybe gained .5-1 sec on the last run.

You still show some new driver tendancies but not many. You should try some pro solos and regional events next year. You'll have a blast and learn a bunch.

You've definitely got that R56 dialed in well and you have the skill to whip it around a course.

3. jetsr6

jetsr6 Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Driver
    Loganton, PA
    Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Well thanks a lot for all the compliments. I do plan on attending at least one pro solo in New Jersey next spring. It’s definitely been a very exciting year for me. Did I take the sweeper to why add it too much distance? I know I have gotten on the brakes too late and added distance that way. I’ve also listening to the Autocross Talk Podcast with Kinch Reindl and learn as much as I can from all the interviews with the pro solo drivers.

4. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Let me rewatch the vid tonight. I can tell you the time stamps where I see the improvement points.

Not much to improve on, mind you. You seemed pretty enthused so I figure you are gonna go at AutoX pretty hard and would appreciate any help.

5. jetsr6

jetsr6 Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Driver
    Loganton, PA
    Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Yes I plan to bring it next year and attend a few national events. Probably the wrong class for the Mini but that’s ok. Any help will be great, thank you.

6. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    So at the 1:32-1:40 mark you come off a slalom into a sweeping right turn:

You take the first cone tight then give a bunch of room to the second then come in tight for the third marker for the end of the sweeper. Mid way through the turn (1:34) you straighten out the wheel to make the apex later so you have a better shot at hitting the gate at the end (appx 1:40-1:41).

You scrubbed speed there in a place where there should have been set with the wheel. The sawing motion mid turn tells me your turn in was too early for the beginning of the sweeper and required a bit more correction to make the first gate at the end of the sweeper. More lost speed.

The solution is twofold: 1) Look further ahead. Your head was turned but I'm not convinced your eyes were at the entrance to the gate at the end (yes, look that far ahead). 2) After your walkthroughs get better you may be able to spot these sorts of things early on. However, if you are like me it will take a run or two to see that giving more room to the first cone of the sweeper a tad less to the second and coming tight on the third will keep your turn radius set require no further movement of the steering wheel and give you the most speed through the sweeper and set you up cleanly for the gate.

At 2:00 you enter another right hand sweeper after leaving a short solom. You lope through the sweeper and then take the slalom to the end super wide where you were very aggresive in the salom seconds before. Frankly, you should have gone faster through the sweeper and been tighter on the slalom. My guess is that coned away run made you a bit too wary of that section as the end.

That's what's obvious from the camera angle to me. I hope that helps.

Like I said before, you're doing well. You're getting to the point where it's no one big thing keeping you from owning in the PAX standings. It's a collection of more subtle things where you are giving up time/speed. Keep up the good work. Hope to see more next season.

7. jetsr6

jetsr6 Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Driver
    Loganton, PA
    Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    #7 jetsr6, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Thank you very much and for taking the time to help. So the sweepers I need to figure out the line and keep the steering wheel held in one position for that sweeper while being at the limits of traction. I definitely need more seat time lol
    That last salom I know I didn’t charge through. I could see my G’s where lower than normal. When I hit that last cone and had that big slide they where my first run. Thanks a lot for the tips and the walk through.