SCCA STX Class Build and Experience

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by GreyLens, Aug 16, 2010.

1. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I started AutoX in Jan 2010 with my 2009 JCW. I've completed 15 events mostly with the San Antonio Sports Car Association (SASCA) and the Austin SPOKES Club. I've also done several track days. I'll continue to do a few track days each year but, I'm hooked on autox as my main driving outlet. Many folks don't like the long work days for so little wheel time. But, it is the best builder of street driving skills in my opinion so I think I'll be doing autox for long time. It is also easy on the car yet a very competitive driving game.

Thought I'd start this thread for discussions about STX class requirements and experiences. Please give results for your races in your local areas and your experience with the various modifications allowed under STX. Also offer ideas and questions for mods and product comparisons and also discussions of implications for driving STX as opposed to other classes for MINI's such as C Stock, D Stock, Street Prepared and Street Modified. Maybe we could get a few threads going focused on these other classes as well. :smile5:

2. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I actually attended only my 2nd auto-x yesterday, but b/c of chosen modifications i was bumped to SMF, which was actually the biggest class there.

At this point i think i am going to remove the 15% pulley i have, as that is what bumped me to SMF.

As far as what STX allows, and what really pertains to MINIs, is what i am interesting in.

I do know you are allowed a 9" wheel, and 265 rubber being 2wd.

So what else is allowed that is a common "mod" on Minis.

Camber plates ? Yes
    Camber arms? Yes
    Spring/Struts? Yes
    Bracing (TSW X-brace) ?
    Brakes ?
    CAI ? Yes
    Header and the rest of the exhaust ? I think the header has to maintain a cat.
    Sway bars ? Yes
    Sway bar endlinks? Yes

There are 265 tires out there, but would require a 16" wheel.

3. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    You're right on all the "yes" items. The X-brace is not allowed. You can only have connections front to rear...but no cross braces from side to side. Brakes can be most any size and make.

The biggest option is any Limited Slip differential is allowed. I just got one installed this week. For STX the options that have the biggest payoff are wheels and tires, LSD and suspension. I think the MINI can do quite well in the STX class.

4. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Yes, i forgot about the diff.

I agree, i think the Mini could do well, but i am inexperienced so i just speaking out my butt really.

5. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    KC,

If you get going in autox perhaps we'll meet up at one of the divisional events. I plan to make all of them in 2011. Where do you usually compete?

6. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Good decision IMO. I absolutely loved running in the ST class when I was autocrossing regularly and found that the MINI could be quite competitive. I think the MINI has room to shine in that class and is obviously still a blast to drive.

Might want to add powerflex control arm bushings to the list. Suspension bushing upgrades are allowed as long as they aren't metal.

7. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I am just starting out as well. I have been running with the local BMW club. I plan on running with the SCCA next year and have been to two of their events. I wanted to run STX because I wouldn't have to deal with race tires. In stock you wouldn't be close to competitive without race tires.

8. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I am up here in East Texas actually, and will most likely just finish out the season with RRR (Welcome to the Red River Region SCCA site!) as they are only 2hrs away from me. I wouldnt "step-down" to STX until next year, when i hopefully will be able to get a diff in there.

Quick questions for yall here:

JCW s/c + pulley, how does this fall? Do i have to have the entire package, or do i have to be a certain year, or what ?!

Camber plates; the vorshlag, the ones i am working towards are a solid metal bushing, so would these not be allowed ? Would i need to find a plate w/ some sort of bushing ?

And the clutch, i know you cant "upgrade" but can i use the Valeo "stock replacement" clutch/flywheel setup, or is this not allowed either ?

And b/c i am a picture whore:

[​IMG]

(not the best photo, but was not taken by me)

No, i am not cornering, i have use the sunroof void to fit.... lmao.

9. danf

danf New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought I'd jump in here. I'm in my second year of auto-xing and am really addicted to the sport. I drive an R53 in SMF. I don't do any SCCA events though as there are about a dozen auto-x clubs to choose from within a 20 mile radius of where I live. I'll probably do 30+ events this year.

10. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0

I've assumed the Vorshlag variable plates were allowed in STX but now I'll have to research that...I was planning to move to AST 5100's, Swift springs and Vorshlag Plates...but want to stay in STX....hmmm.

I believe the Valeo clutch is fine....same specs as OEM. I just replaced the clutch (only 26K miles!!) with stock clutch and flywheel when I installed the OS Giken LSD. I'm in a 2009 JCW and am unsure of the STX implications for 1st gener's...you're sending me back to the rules with several questions to answer for my own upgrade plans....

Good pic...I'm going to post a few of the GreyLenz soon as well.

I'm going to check out the Red River club and I'd love to make one event in the next few months if I can work it out. Can't find directions to the track site yet...

11. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Cool. I haven't looked that closely at the SM rules yet...will do so if my mod plans are going to push me out of STX. I'm really set on the AST's, Swift springs and Vorshlag Plates....I need to verify the impact of the Vorshlag plates having metal bushings....

So, how competitive have you been in SMF? I don't see any Mini's running in that class around here.

12. danf

danf New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can use metal in the bushings for camber plates, it is the control arm bushings that no metal is allowed. In other words no PSRS. I used to have an ST Cooper that had the Vorschlag plates.

13. danf

danf New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can throw up my results from the past weekend if that is what you are looking for.....

On Sunday I had an event with the local BMW club. This is held on a closed army airfield in Mass. A full loop course. The BMW club typically sets up fast but technical courses. The courses are just under 1 mile long. This event started off dry (not my run group) but all remaining runs after that were in the rain. I did much better than I usually do as I enjoy auto-xing in the rain. I am in run group B #201. Here are the results: Boston Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross Results

On Saturday I had an event with the Renegade Miata club at the same location. Similar style courses as BMW. This was a nice sunny day. Here are the results from that, I am #291: http://www.renegademiata.net/2010_Aug_21_AutoX.pdf

14. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you're right.

Btw, the OS Giken LSD is awesome! I had a chance to give it a bit of a workout today. It really changes the dynamics coming out of a turn. This is going to help significantly.

15. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The Alta PSRS

has a metal housing but a plastic ball. Don't know what this means with regard to the rules. I'm clueless on that stuff.

Matt

16. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    That means it's out. Can't add any metal to the joint.

17. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    A little advise from a 30+ year autocross veteran if I may. Don't get real hung up on mod or classes for the first two years or so into autox competition. The most adjustable part of the car is the driver. Keeping the car mostly stock and on stock tires will help learn what you're doing wrong and what needs the most attention. Work on finding the right line, breaking and turn in points and areas where you can make the most of your MINI.

Remember smooth and easy is the way to get trophies. All that sliding and tire squealing look impressive, but it surely isn't fast. SCCA has MINI's in so crappy rules (I was Solo II chair for 12+ years with SCCA-Old Dominion Region) when you get into street prepared. SM and STX are somewhat better classes.

We took the kids bone stock 07 MCS with just Hoosiers down to some carolina autocrosses a couple of years ago. I ran GS and the kid ran SM or DSP depending on the competition. We were both 3 for 3 in 2008. I can't wait to get some free time and run the Clubbie and teach the daughter child how to autox.

Good luck to all the new and future autocrossers out there.

18. danf

danf New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Completely agree on the mods. Even though I am in SM I actually have very few mods. Have the pulley that is obvious a CAI, and 380 cc injectors. For suspension fixed camber plates and rsb I am still on stock springs and shocks. Best mod I did this year was attending an EVO school. I have never used R-comps in fact I am on 205/50 direzza's. Had another event today and came in 2nd out of 8 cars. Guy that beat me was driving a 1st generation gti with R- comps, full suspension mods and about 260 WHP on a 2000 lb car.

19. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Good job! If you went with a good set of R compounds (I'm a Hoosier guy) your mods would really make that a good car. Sounds like you're pretty competitive as it sits. Remember, seat time is the best thing to get you faster. as for the EVO school, a good friend of mine, Mike (Jr.) Johnson is one of their instructors. He's awesome. They're a little expensive, but will help you immensely. I'd suggest every newbie spend money on a good driver school before they make their first mod!

20. danf

danf New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well to tell you the truth I don't think my car is well set up at all. At least for SM. With the soft stock springs it is very easy to unsettle. You have to drive with very smooth inputs. I think my setup is great for someone that is learning like I am as it teaches you smooth driving. Let's face it though if you are doing this to win trophies in SCCA don't go any further than the street class or better yet stay stock. Rally is so right, these cars are decent in ST/STX but they weigh too much to be competitive in SM. I don't do SCCA events, I just do smaller clubs.

I do this to hang out with my car buds, drive like a nut, get the wheels off the ground, make a bunch of supercharger noise and learn something about driving. If I do well that's fine, but if not it's ok because it's fun regardless.