Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Brakes remain engaged even after releasing the e-brake

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by buttonbag, Jul 27, 2016.

1. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Actually, just the rear driver's side. I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago when my gas mileage went down slightly. I tested my theory by sitting on an incline and putting it in neutral and letting go of the brakes and it did not roll. Also, I tried to parallel park and decided I was not going to hit the brakes to see if it would stop on its own and it did. Then, I confirmed that it's my e-brake when I noticed a few days later that there is a significant amount of reddish brake dust collecting on just the driver's side rear wheel when compared to the rest.

Has anyone ever had this happen? Was it a simple fix? I'm trying to avoid spending more money.

I'm no car guy by any means, but I do know a little bit and I tend to do some research if I notice something going less than ideal. Since I haven't found anything about this new problem I'm having, I figured I'll just ask.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    It could be your caliper guide pins are stuck and allowing the caliper to slide when the brakes are released.

Undo them, lube them and put them back.

Make sure you put your car in gear and do not put the parking brake on while removing the caliper because if you leave the parking brake on you will not be able to move the caliper.

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Can also be that the parking brake cable for that side is rusted frozen.

4. rusty.daily

rusty.daily New Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yea, those parking brake cables seize pretty regularly, often times you can give the cable a shove then a tug where the cables meets the caliper and it will free up.

5. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Yes! I've heard about this happening before.