Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires '06 R53 low pressure / ABS / DSC light combo

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Belhaven, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Belhaven

Belhaven Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Low tire pressure light came on Thursday AM. I gave them the once-over and all looked fine, reset the indicator and waited till that night to check pressures - but I neglected it since I had tire rotation scheduled for Saturday.

Had the tire rotation and checked and adjusted the pressures Saturday. it was warm when I parked it.

Monday AM it's colder and the light comes on again. Another once over with no obvious reason and pressures checked out normal. Reset and head to work. Within a mile or two - the light comes on again. Ok - headed to tire dealer. They checked the tires with no obvious low pressure - but checked one that "looked like it might be the cause" but no leaks visible in the tub (thin it was the way the car was sitting on the uneven pavement).

Reset again and on my way. At the first light, as i hit the brakes I noticed the pedal pulsing as if ABS was activated (but it was not hard enough or quick enough stopping to cause that) and then the light came on again.

Now, i'm not THAT concerned that the low pressure light is on - but each time it comes on, so do the lights for DSC and ABS with mean they got disabled too, and that I don't like.

At this point I'm suspecting that the problem isn't low tire pressure but rather one of the wheel speed sensors. So now I have to figure out which one...

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, the MINI Trifecta, in Land Rover world the same issue is known as the Three Amigos. The cause is different, though.

Most likely a sensor.

I get it when it is colder than 50F outside.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    #3 MCS02, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Don't ask why, because I don't know the answer, but most of the time it is the front left speed sensor.

I had this problem long ago and sure enough it was the front left.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    One of your wheel speed senors is dead.

5. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    In the first gen cars the wheel speed sensors are used to guess at tire pressure for the indicator. The good news is that you don't have tire pressure sensor to deal with.

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Car makers are going back to using the abs sensors for TPMS. It'd great not having to deal with those darned TPMS valves stem things. Farking tire nanny's. :prrr:

7. Belhaven

Belhaven Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    funny - the video series I found on replacing the sensor showed the guy replacing the left front sensor :) That series looked complete enough to back up the manual I've got.

Strangely, after I cleared it yesterday, it has not come back. If it does I'll see if the scan gauge tells me which one it is.

8. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    FWIW, I've had the trifecta several times over the past 160k-ish miles. I don't think I've ever actually needed to replace the sensor. In every case, I've pulled it out, cleaned the rust off it, unplugged it, cleaned the plug with contact cleaner, and reinstalled... and it worked fine for months or years, until it did it again.

9. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I had a retaining clip for one of my wheel speed sensors break and the cable rubbed on my tire causing the wires to cross circuit. I repaired it myself and didn't buy any parts. I had heat shrink, wire and electrical tape already. I zip tied my wires to the frame.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Farking tire nanny's..... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Tell me about it.

All because some crappy 2 door Ford Explorer Spots flipped over because of crappy Firestone tires low on air pressure now the whole world needs tire nanny's. WTF? :incazzato:

We would never need this kind of tech crap if people would just check their tire pressure. Checking you oil world also help. Damn the world is so lazy now. :incazzato:

11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    The world is lazy, yes & getting stupider even as I two finger type this. WTF!!!

12. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Wow !! You one of them speedy typer peoples !! :D