Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Difference between JCW rotors/calipers VS. GP2 rotors/calipers

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by ChItalian1027, May 2, 2017.

1. ChItalian1027

ChItalian1027 Member

Sep 17, 2012
    IT
    Westfield, IN
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I've been thinking of going to MINI's BBK with the JCW and GP2 brakes, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the rotors/calipers are compared to the MCS rotors/calipers. What I'm wondering is, is there a huge difference between these rotors/calipers? Right now on my R56 I have OEM MINI rotors with OEM calipers and I'm running Hawk HPS pads. I'm running this combo because when I had my R53 this was the setup that I had when I was doing HPDEs pretty regularly, and will be doing a great deal of DEs with NASA GL this coming season. So should I or should I not slap on either the JCW rotors/calipers or GP2 rotors/calipers?

2. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't waste money on the JCW brakes. They're more of a "show" bbk than a "performance" brake. Is there more material? Yes. But if your doing HPDE's then know the JCW bbk have steel and PLASTIC pistons. They are prone to crack and give you more than headaches if your really pushing it. GP2 is the real deal. But they are pretty ridiculously priced. I personally opted to go to TCE and get a Wildwood kit. Wilwood has multiple rotor, caliper, and brake pad options that will fit your exact need on the track. I originally got the street kit last year. Decided later I wanted to track my MINI. Found out I can buy parts and convert my calipers to track orientation with stainless steel pistons at a surprisingly low price. Needless to say I'm very happy with the kit and the performance I've received.

3. ChItalian1027

ChItalian1027 Member

Sep 17, 2012
    IT
    Westfield, IN
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Grizld, I didn't know that about the JCW BBK. Looks like I will be sticking with the MCS rotors and calipers for now until I really want to do a true BBK.