Alignment Day!

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by Minidave, Apr 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    for both Buzz and another club member's car....

Our KC Club is doing a Donut 66 Run tomorrow, down to Joplin and across Rt 66 into Kansas and both our cars needed some work.

John had installed some new adjustable lower control arms with offset bushings and because he'd done that work at home, the alignment was crazy off. Buzz just needed some rear toe in and he was good to go as I'd already had him on the alignment machine before our run to Arkansas last month.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John's left rear camber was over 2.5° so we started there, once we got everything straightened out there we moved to the front and put everything to John's preferred spec - He went with

Front
    Caster 3°
    Camber 1.5° neg
    Toe out .125

Rear
    Camber 1.5°
    Toe-in .125

[​IMG]

Once done both cars drive great, although John's steering wheel is slightly off center - since we didn't want to re-rack the car, he decided just to move it over one spline instead.

Should be good to go for tomorrow's run!

2. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Have fun tomorrow!

So... have you decided to stick with those wheels/tires? Or are they just on for the alignment process?

3. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Seth took my 10" wheels up to Leavenworth to have a buddy of his balance them, I haven't gotten them back yet so I'll do the drive this weekend on the 13's (with his OK of course)

I have to say, I think I like the look, after this weekend maybe I'll see what Seth wants for them - he put 12's on his car.

I know John really likes the 12's on his car too.....

It's a good thing I had them on there today tho, the alignment machine I usually use was down today, if I had had the 10's on I couldn't have aligned it as the older machine won't fit the 10's.

Notice it uses the same targets as they used on your car....

4. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Nice cars. :drool How to do get away with driving on British plates? Ohio State Troopers would stop you in a heartbeat.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Wheels were that much of a scourge on society ehh...

6. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    I'm running my Mini's original UK license plates too. Haven't been stopped once, and I've encountered plenty of police cars. My take? In this country a classic Mini is so visually different from "normal" cars, so distinct, that when someone - including a cop - sees it, they notice the differences. The size, the shape, the stance, the wheels, etc. but they don't really think about the license plates as part of that.

7. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    How do we get away with it? We're special!:biggrin5:

I carry the Kansas plate in the car, I'm thinking about buying a magnet like the dealers use - BruceK uses one on his car - but I've never had a second glance from the popo on my Brit plates.

My take is the fact that it's right drive makes em think it's over here on vacay or something. That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

One of our local guys has (the green car in the pic above) been running his like that for 6 years now - no issues with him either.

8. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Ha! There's a big Army base there as well as the prison......Seth's in the Army.....

9. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    I just did that on the Fun Run to Arkansas. I was concerned about going out of state to OK and AR. But here in TX I've never had any issues with just running the UK reg plates only.

Dave's idea about RHD helping makes sense too.