Ring Gear Replacement

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by jbelow2, Jul 10, 2016.

1. jbelow2

jbelow2 New Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Everyone,
    This is my first post to your forum. I live in northern ohio and have a 1978 Mini Special with an 1100 engine.

Last week my starter quit, and come to find out the ring gear is wore badly..

Is anyone aware of anyone selling a second hand pre verto flywheel with ring gear or new ring gear?

I would also like to know if anyone has changed their original starters to a different starter which engages the ring gear on the opposite side. I understand some chevy chevettes had a similiar style as well as some holdens?

I am also looking for a good flywheel puller. If anyone has one in my area I could barrow, buy, rent, that would be great.

Thanks You
    John

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    John, you can buy the ring gear separately and save the flywheel, but surely there is someone out there with an old flywheel they don't need, but there's a good chance it's ring gear wont be any better than yours......

Let me check around a bit too.....

3. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance the bestest MINI forum on the interweb !! Seeing how Minidave is extremely knowledgeable on the classics and spending other people's money is so much easier than your own I vote for the new part. :D

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA!