2nd Gen R55 Clubman Audio upgrade to base system?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Mini Q, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Just bought a 2013 Clubman with the base stereo. Wondering if there is a subwoofer install that is relatively concealed.

Can tweeters be added?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Contact Aaron at Outmotoring. He can help you with anything audio even though it's not listed on his website.

3. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Second out motoring. They've got a nice kit that goes in the boot. Think it might only hold an 8" though not positive. Tweeters are good in the A pillars.

4. ryanschram

ryanschram New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    US Army
    Manhattan, KS
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    just do a channel swap, front to rear and you will be amazed by the sound quality.

5. rckrzy1

rckrzy1 Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I put a 8" bazooka behind the drivers seat. Works great. Also replaced ALL the speakers and added new pillars with tweeters.

Sounds better than wifes factory HK .

6. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Did you do any change to the head unit? Install an amplifier? I'm looking for better sound with minimal change

7. rckrzy1

rckrzy1 Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    nope, only amp is in the bazooka sub.

8. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    That's awesome to hear! What did you replace the speakers with? I'm very interested to read as my 2007 speakers are aging. Did you have a write up at all? I have so many questions! Did you already have A-pillar speakers or did you add them? Did you also do the channel swap?

blah blah blah sorry I'm asking too many questions! :crazy:

9. rckrzy1

rckrzy1 Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    actually used the write up from the IA , shows you how to take doors apart etc. I did buy the IA harness to get feeds for my sub.

Bought pillars from another member who put some nice alpine tweeters in them, I have them set at 0DB and they sound great.

And did not try the speaker swap as then you end up with a door speaker , closer to my ears, with only mid range, so was not for me.

I forgot the exact models, use pioneer component for lowers, as in they are like 6.5" that could use a tweeter in the middle but I did not use, it just has a cone so I'm using it as a pure woofer, then from parts express got these 3.5" for mids, and alpine tweeters in pillars.

Did not bother with rears, I don't sit there, nobody does and it's a hassle to get to rear speakers so I just left them and have most sound going to fronts.