2nd Gen R55 Clubman '09 Clubman barn door won't lock

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by MothAudio, Apr 10, 2015.

1. MothAudio

MothAudio New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Retired
    Columbus
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    The right passenger cargo door on my '09 Clubman won't close / lock. I pulled the interior cover off and tied the door panel to the headrest. Since it was dark and raining at the time I didn't inspect what the cause may be. I understand this is a common problem - guessing the $59 lock assembly failed.

Is this as simple as undoing a couple of screws, swapping in a new assembly and popping the cover back on? TIA

Attached Files:

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Not sure. I'll give you a bump.. Check with eMiniParts they have good prices

3. MothAudio

MothAudio New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Retired
    Columbus
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    ^^ Thanks for the link. Almost $30 bucks cheaper than the dealer and $15 less than another on-line supplier.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Also remove the electronics door latch and dry it. I bet is grounded out because of water since you said it was raining.

The First Gens had this issue with the back hatch popping open when it rained hard or people washed their car.

Seals and gaskets shrink overtime causing this issue and for some stupid reason BMW will not move the electronic connecting away from water areas.

A little dielectric gel on the connectors will help keep water out and a little dab of silicone for extra insurance.

5. MothAudio

MothAudio New Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Retired
    Columbus
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Dave. I have a new lock assembly on order. Before the install I'll be sure to hose it down and check for drainage. My guess is this a mechanical vs electrical issue. Thanks for the tips.