2nd Gen R55 Clubman Window Tint

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Piston, Jul 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Piston

Piston New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Bicycle Sales
    Central NC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This seems to me like an odd inquiry.

Does the 2013 Clubman S have much tint to the windows? I purchased one with about 25k miles, mini dealer, certified, etc, but I can't get a clear picture on the windows.

I am looking to darken what I have, but the windows are a fair bit more tinted than my R53 had (or than my 2012 GTI).

The car seems reasonably cool for NC summer, and I am thinking that I should just get the MINI windsheild cover/ sun shield.

The tint I have doesn't supply the privacy that I'd like, but is there a CarFax or the like that would lay out what has been done to the car?

Thanks!

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #3 Dave.0, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    All cars made come with a low level of tint between the glass. Now someone may have had a layer adding to the inside to make it a little darker. If you stop by any tint shop they will be able to tell you if the car has an extra layer of tint installed on the inside. Tint is very easy to remove if you "sweat" it off and almost all the old tint glue comes off with the tint.

This allows you to add the newer better tint on the market that is darker, UV resistant and will not turn purple like old 80's tint.

To "sweat" tint off a window you only need some water in a spray bottle, a Black Glad trash bag and some tape. I use duct tape, because duct tape works best.

Take a large glad trash bag without the ties built in or cut them off. Next cut the bag with a razor blade and make it a little bigger than the size of the window with tint you want to remove. The bag only has to be one layer thick, so one large bag will do two windows.

The last thing you need is a sunny day.

Spray mist the old tint down with water from the inside and put the black Glad trash back on the glass. You need the water to make the bag stick to the glass. Use the tape to hold the corners and put the window facing the sun. Next go enjoy a cold beer or two for a half hour or so depending on how hot it is out. You can also use heat lamps on the outside off the glass and turn your cars heater on full blast if you have no sun.

After a while 1/2 hour maybe an hour try and pull back the bag a little and try lifting off the tint from the edge. If it lifts easy just pull it back slowly and all the tint and glue will come off together. The longer you let it sit the easier it will be to remove the tint and the glue all in once piece.

Tint shops change big money to remove old tint and this is all they really do with the sun or high powered heat lamps / Quartz spot lights very close to the glass. I have done this for many friends when my buddy that did window tinting showed me this trick.

The glass and the Dark Black Gald trash bag will hold the heat between them and this is what "sweats" off the tint from between them and makes the tint glue liquid again which makes for easy removal.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Also my wife has a steamer that works great on getting tint off.