3rd Gen F54 Clubman F54 Clubman Rear Tail/brake Lights

Discussion in '3rd Generation: 2014+ F54, F55, F56, F57, F60' started by Milkman, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Milkman

Milkman New Member

May 31, 2016
    Corning, NY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So we have only had our Clubman S a week but I can already see one item I would like to mod. What I like to call the non existant rear brake lights on our Clubby.

I followed my wife on a 5 hour roundtrip and there was a couple times that I had to catch myself because I didn't see her brake lights. You focus on those two honking lenses on the backdoors and expect them to come on when someone stops. I understand the logic that they can't be the ONLY brake lights in case you drive with the doors open but since you run the turn signal wiring in there why not just extend the brake wires and light these up too.

Our new car had issues so I'm in the loaner Clubman yesterday and go to pull in the gas station. I hear a screech behind me and see a grill filling up my rear window. Luckily they stopped short and did not hit me. The truck follows me into the gas station and gets out to tell me my brake lights arent working. So I show him they are in fact all working, lower and the 3rd on the lip and he says it's a (paraphrased) "pretty f'n crappy design. Why don't those big brake lenses light up?"

Also some comments already on the NHTSA website about the brake light design. The quick fix I'd like to try is to put one of those flashing LED brake lights in the 3rd brake light to at least grab your attention then see about adding a flat led and wiring into those lenses if possible.

Anyone else have any issues with the tail lights?

2. Milkman

Milkman New Member

May 31, 2016
    Corning, NY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A little visual representation for those that may not be familiar with the new Clubby.

[​IMG]

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Well that's rather odd. I'd be watching the big lenses too.

4. Milkman

Milkman New Member

May 31, 2016
    Corning, NY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Option B: a giant bumper sticker like this

[​IMG]

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I would go with the flashing LED if you can find them. I got behind one a few months ago at night. The brake lights were so bright they were blinding.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0