2nd Gen R55 Clubman Silver ROOF color code on a 2008 R55

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by dkdzyn, Feb 24, 2017.

1. dkdzyn

dkdzyn Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Designing... EVERYTHING, what else is there?
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Clubbie owners! Does anyone know where the paint code is located on the body for the stock silver ROOF color on a 2008 Clubman? Mine is a Lightning Blue BASE color and it calls it out on the right strut tower, but I can't figure out the roof color from sources online or find it on the car!

Anyone have a clue on this?

Thanks!

2. TWISTER

TWISTER Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Male
    Web Developer/Designer
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    900 I think

3. dkdzyn

dkdzyn Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! I'm going to check this out a little further, but so far I have managed to confuse Mini Customer Service and the staff at Mini of Austin's repair shop (although they THINK it is 900 also).

For something so common, you'd think it'd be pretty easy to find this as it's a connecting thread amongst near all R55's unless they have black roofs (the code of which Mini HAS been able to confirm BTW!)

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    It is odd that MINI puts a label showing the body color on, but the contrasting roof color is nowhere to be found. Why do you need the roof color? Hope you didn't roll your clubster. :wink:

6. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 6 / -5
    If'n the car already had a factory silver roof wouldn't it show up with the last seven digits of a VIN check ??

7. dkdzyn

dkdzyn Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    SO, to explain why I need a ROOF color... In the continuing drama that is the fixing, fixing, fixing of my Clubman that I saved from the clutches of the "Evil Shyster Dealer," who I bought it from, I found that SOMEHOW the roof got two very deep dents in it (one of them possibly being an actual puncture through the sheetmetal) which were being hidden by a wind deflector that was on when I bought it. I took the deflector off because it was making the car feel too closed in when I opened the roof.

As soon as I took it off, here were scratches (I mean through the roof color, through the underlying blue body paint and into the primer) with dents into the roof skin. On the other side of the roof (this is laterally across the header, either side of the front seal of the sunroof) in the same location was a large depression with a patch of something that looks more like wood patch than Bondo with some obviously wrong colored paint brushed over it. I just rolled my eyes and figured I'd get to it later. Well, I'm currently fixing two DEEP scratches in the front fender and driver's door (that were ALSO already in the paint when I bought it) and as I am going to pay the shipping on one can of touchup paint, I figure I may as well fix the roof while I'm at it too and get another can of paint sent. This of course meant I needed the color of the body (Easy to find on the pax-side strut tower under the hood) and the roof... the code of which is nowhere to be found. :(

And yes, I am amazed that it is so difficult to get a number for it. I used my VIN to search out the paint codes online and while getting the Lightning Blue out of the VIN is EASY, getting the roof seems impossible. I then called Mini Customer Service and spent half an hour on with them while they tried every way they could to find it (and never did). So they patched me through to Mini of Austin to ask them. They didn't know either and patched me through to their auto body shop, who GUESSED it was Pure Silver 900, but weren't SURE about that and told me they'd find out and call me back. That was 6 hours ago.

So, yeah. You'd THINK that Mini would include the ROOF PAINT color code on a car where part of its very character was having a contrasting Roof/C Pillar/Bumper combo as part of the design, emblazoned on a plaque on the door jamb, or at LEAST buried in the VIN code, but alas, nothing...

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    A friend of mine bought a SAAB 900 years ago & it has a sunroof deflector on it. Like you he decided to remove it for a better view. He didn't find dents, but did find places where the defector had rubbed right through the paint. That part may be common to deflectors, but the dents sure aren't. Good luck getting it squared away.

9. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 6 / -5
    Sorry to hear that something so seemingly easy is turning out to be so difficult and that's just dealing with MINI let alone all the BS from the shyster dealer.