2nd Gen R55 Clubman 12V DC plugs don't seem to work

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Flighty, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Flighty

Flighty New Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, all. I do not have any power coming out of the 12V DC outlets (cigarette lighters, both front and rear) of my 2010 Clubman S. I checked the fuse (F44, 20A) and it's ok, passing a connectivity test. I've also checked the voltage and it's reading 0.1V; it reads -0.1V when I reverse the polarity so there seems to be some tiny bit of current flowing through there. Any idea what could be wrong and what could be done to fix it? Thanks!

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! Its a long shot but pull the fuses and reseat them. I have seen this work on other marks but they were Italian cars. also have a look at them when you pull them out.

If you find a fix please come back and tell us what it was.

3. Flighty

Flighty New Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome! I did pull and reseat the fuse as well as a few around F44 but there was no change. I'm a bit confused about the low current that seems to be running through it as indicated by the voltmeter. I would've thought it would be fully working or have no current at all. :confused5:

4. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't worry about that low voltage. Those amounts could just be from induction. Sounds like an open circuit, but I have no personal experience with this problem to suggest where to look. You might pop the receptacle out and check the connections under the console.

5. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Was that measurement at the fuse socket? As a sanity check, it should measure 0V with the car off (it's supposed to be a switched circuit).

Here's the circuit diagram: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r55-cooper-s-clu/components-connectors/components/f-fuses/f44-fuse/6qVQmvxB

It's connected to relay I01069 at the bottom right of the fusebox: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r55-cooper-s-clu/components-connectors/components/f-fuses/f44-fuse/RKY7dlR

6. Flighty

Flighty New Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The measurement was not made at the fuse box; it was made at the DC socket (after removing the socket to expose the lead connectors). It was done with the engine off.

The fuse reference I have

[​IMG]

seems to be off from the diagram [https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r55-cooper-s-clu/components-connectors/components/f-fuses/f44-fuse/RKY7dlR].

Whereas the diagram refers to F1 through F9 in the upper row, the reference goes from F1 through F11. My vehicle has 11 slots in the first row so it seems to be aligned with the reference if not the diagram.

I'm not too sure how to go about fiddling with the relay--is it connected other fuses? I don't seem to have any other electrical (e.g., the seat warmers work ok).

7. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    The cigar lighter sockets in my MINI are switched power, they only work with the ignition on.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Put the Key in and turn the car to on but don't not start it.

They are switched power not constant On. You would drain the battery with something plugged in with constant On.

Or you could burn your car to the ground if you have a old Samsung phone plugged in and charging when you walk away. :lol::lol:

9. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I thought you measured with the car turned on. What is the measurement with the car turned on?

10. mdhali0007

mdhali0007 New Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I took mine to the dealer and asked them to check the fuses out whatever and fix it. 1/2 later they brought it out bright and shiny and fixed. They told me it was the fuses but I have no idea what they exactly did. If you have a car under warranty then let them deal with the headache and get a free car wash too.
    I also have a clubman S. Mine is 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Flighty

Flighty New Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually, I had measured it with the key out, key in but not started, and with the engine on. The results were the same (about 0.1 V).

12. Flighty

Flighty New Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I may have to fall back on bringing it to a garage or dealer.
    I was hoping to get to know my car better and figure out these sort of things. (I bought my Clubman 2010 used so it's not covered for this.)

13. Flighty

Flighty New Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've heard that said so I've tested it with the power on as well as off (and both with the key in/engine off and engine on) but no difference in power from the cigarette lighter.

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Have you tester the relay yet? this is an odd problem. If you are getting 12v across the fuse then all I can think of it a bad relay or a wire that is broken but not shorted out agents anything.

15. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    One other thing to verify is continuity between the fuse socket and the cigarette lighter.