1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Cable in top above Driver

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by patchelect, Jan 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Currently still working in electric motors sales a
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    On my recently acquired car I noticed there is a cable going crosswise in the top mechanism directly above the driver to the passenger side. The drivers side is secure, but the passengers end is broken. Has anyone encountered the problem and is it an easy enough repair? I still have some warranty left since the car was dealer purchased and came with a 90 day, but going there is a PITA and if the part isn't too expensive and isn't a big deal to replace, I'll do it myself and avoid the hassle. Otherwise I guess it's a trip back before the 90th day!

2. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like the passenger side latch/sunroof cable. Not an incredibly rare problem, though (knock on wood) mine hasn't given way yet. If you catch it early and don't continue to try to operate it with the broken cable, it can be fixed by just replacing the cables. Some folks keep going with trying to open it and it "torques" the top mechanism and bends/twists it, requiring replacement of the whole sunroom part of the mechanism (crazy expensive).

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/convertible/9450-soft-top-stuck-closed-drivers-side.html#axzz2pL1AwiKJ

Here's another thread, on NAM:
    HELP! Top won't open - Page 3 - North American Motoring

4. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The top appears to operate normally. The images on the link by rkw don't show the cable. Using the image, in the first one, there is a dotted line going from side to side, (drivers to passenger) that approximates where the cable is. However, I just went out to attempt a picture and I believe that it is a batten used to support the top approximately an inch or two in front of the black cable that actually IS connected on both sides almost immediately in front of the first bow.

5. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    If the cable isn't listed in the parts catalog, then it isn't available separately and it is included with a larger part (the top cover? I didn't completely understand your description). Perhaps a repair is possible but again photos would really help to understand the situation.

6. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0