1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Replacing chrome roll bar cover

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Minidog, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Minidog

Minidog New Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Truck driver
    Fairfield, Maine
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I want to black out my chrome roll bar covers on my 05 s convertible. I popped out tab, unscrewed the headrest. Now my problem is getting it to come apart, any suggestions?

2. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,974 / 6 / -5
    Sorry I can't be of help with your rollbar but I can Welcome you to Motoring Alliance the bestest MINI forum on the interweb !!

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    You need to get the headrests off, AND you need to separate the black plastic covers below the chrome hoops. They're just clamshell moldings with snap tabs that hold them together. Use a set of plastic trim pry tools and gently pry along the seam, eventually they snap apart. You just need to open them up around the top a bit, because the chrome hoop covers have shoulders that fit down into these pieces.

[​IMG]

Once those are opened up around the hoop covers, you pry along the hoop covers the same way and they'll pop open.

You can actually get OEM black plastic covers from MINI. The Coopers without the chrome trim package came with black ones, not very expensive when I bought mine, less than $50 for the set.

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

4. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Blacked out mine last year. Just snapped together if i recall, and you can rest assured that blimey knows his cabrio stuff too. And black is so much better.