3rd Gen F57 Convertible Review - 2016 Mini Cooper S Convertible gives great air but lacks a soundtrack

Discussion in '3rd Generation: 2014+ F54, F55, F56, F57, F60' started by Nathan, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Convertibles mean experiencing nature with some pleasant engine noise; this delivers half.

Judged by its reputation, the Mini Cooper S should be a sporty little thing with telepathic steering, go-kart handling, and zippy throttle response. Yet, my very first impression—and this continued on throughout the test—is to ask no one in particular, yet everyone collectively: "Where the hell is its engine?" I certainly couldn't hear it.

Top up, down, engine idling, engaging the clutch, launching hard—even bouncing off the soft rev limiter—was there mechanical music? Was there merely mechanical? No. They've over-silenced the engine. The 189hp (141kW) turbocharged four-cylinder unit actually makes decent power, but it's either so stuffed full of turbo plumbing or blanketed by NVH nannies that you'll simply never hear evidence that it exists.

Full Article - http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/08/the-2016-mini-cooper-s-convertible-gives-great-air-but-lacks-a-soundtrack/

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That's because Fish do not make sounds only Bulldogs do. :ihih::idea::lol:

3. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Imagine that. Judging the F-series cars by the perceived "reputation" of what a MINI is supposed to be. :wink:

A reputation that continues to evaporate. I predict it won't be long until Gabe is trashing this review, claiming that they "just don't understand" the target audience for MINI's marketing strategy.

Come to think of it, neither do I.