1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible How to Replace Convertible Top Rear Weather Seal

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by mhourican, Jun 26, 2017.

1. mhourican

mhourican New Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2007 JCW convertible. The rear weather seal for the top is disentigrating. I ordered the left and right seal and will attempt to replace the old ones myself. I've read a bit on the process and I know I have to release the top to get to the screws. But, I have a question. Do I have to use new screws? I think I read that one or more on each side should not be reused. Appreciate any clarification you can provide. Thanks in advance!

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Sorry I'm no help but here's a bump. Some one here can help.

3. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    I haven't done mine yet but I believe you can reuse the screws. I would think they wouldn't be that expensive but the prices they want for the trim these days is just batshit crazy so who knows. Make sure you take your time and be careful with the brake light. It sounds like they can be fragile.

4. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I did mine and re-used all the screws. AND, I didn't screw anything up, which is not the norm for me. That should show you how easy it is.

5. mhourican

mhourican New Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the post. Hubby and I will take a look at it today.

6. mhourican

mhourican New Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We did it!

We did it. We replaced the convertible top rear trim. The trim is held in place by 8 torx (star shaped) head screws on the outer edges and 4 slightly longer torx head screws in the center of the left and right trim pieces.

I did not put any silicone under the trim though. Should I have done that too?

It looks good.

7. mhourican

mhourican New Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did not have to replace the screws. FYI, there are 12 total torx head screws. The four nearest to the license plate are slightly longer than the ones on the outer edges.