1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Automatic Transmission Problem

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by GeorgeCo, Jun 5, 2011.

1. GeorgeCo

GeorgeCo Site Sponsor
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    Motorer
    Mt. Airy, MD
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    A friend of mine has an '06 MCS Convertible with automatic transmission. He's having a problem when the car is about to shift into 4th gear - the engine races and if you don't let off the gas the shift happens with a loud bang. He's had it to a couple of different dealers who were not able to troubleshoot it, though one was able to replicate the problem. Their advice was to just let off the gas and wait for the shift. This doesn't happen in high-torque situations, only during leisurely acceleration. Anybody ever experience this? Sounds to me that it might be two separate problems: either a software or sensor problem that's not recognizing that it's time to shift, the by hanging on until a much higher rev, worn transmission & or motor mounts rocking and creating the bang. Any other (better) ideas?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    To help rule out software issues you might to have all the adaptations cleared. I'm not 100% sure the tranny adapts to ones driving style but it could be an easy and inexpensive start to troubleshooting the problem.

I know there is the "lifetime fill" aspect of the fluid but I'd be a little suspect there as well. A fluid change might not be a bad idea as well. Although you'll need am independent shop or a dealer that's sees beyond being a parts changer.

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    :postcount But, the first thing your friend should do is join M/A:wink:

Mark

4. GeorgeCo

GeorgeCo Site Sponsor
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    Motorer
    Mt. Airy, MD
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I heard that can make you better looking too, and get the chickweed out of your lawn....

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Would be interesting to know mileage, how hard it's been driven, how much manual mode has been used, etc.

My tranny started having peculiar shifting habits around 60,000 miles... and those were crazy hard miles with me driving in manual mode, power downshifting, etc. like a lunatic.

When I drained the fluid at about 80,000 miles, it was like BURNED COFFEE. It instantly returned to better-than-new shifting with a triple drain/fill service (about 80% new fluid).

Now I do a double drain/fill every 20,000 miles, and will for as long as I own the car. "Lifetime fluid" my azzzzzz.

6. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Same as Blimey here. Had the same issue. Only did one drain and fill and have no had any issues since...

7. checkers

checkers Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,147 / 0 / -1
    Blimey where have you been? I've got 37k on mine with no problems with the tranny.

8. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Been Workin' :biggrin5:

Hate to say it... but you *will* have problems with your mods and track time, if you don't do fluid changes. By the time you see 60,000 miles. Maybe sooner with your mods. I'd bet money on it.

If I were you, I'd do a fluid change soon, and make it routine maintenance. :Thumbsup:

9. checkers

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,147 / 0 / -1
    Thanks for the advice. I'll see about having it done. I having Jan tune it again this weekend and after that I'll get it done.

10. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Detailed DIY instructions on this thread:
    Sewing Site Auto Tranny Fluid Change Instructions

The dealer won't do it this way... if you can get them to do it at all, they'll drop the pan, etc. and charge a ton of $$. It really is a pretty easy job, as long as you can access the fill plug from the top and get it loose (super tight from the factory).

I recently did a friend's R56 and it works the same way... just a little harder to access the fill plug.

11. checkers

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,147 / 0 / -1
    I'll look it up, but I'm old and have at least 3 shops I deal with to take care of all my problems. HA HA. Thanks

12. KamGraphica

KamGraphica New Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm curious to know what the solution was to the OP question, did the service resolve his issue and identify what the problem was.

I have a 2006 S automatic, tuned by RMW, pulley, exhaust.. the whole packaged and I'm @ 71k miles and have been experiencing hard shifting for a few hundred miles now. I don't drive it hard but I do tend to drive more in steptronic, so the adaptations are probably set to that method of driving.

Even today driving into work on the 405 freeway, I was in steptronic and shifted from 3rd-4th and the car seemed to drop a gear as if I was in a lower gear and it was red lining, I had to pull over turn the car off and start it back up to clear the issue. I couldn't drive faster than 40mph and it was red lining. When I did start the car back up and put it in Drive, the car jerked pretty hard and continued driving to work in Drive and it's been fine... so something is off somewhere.

Looks to be time for a transmission service, I've never had the service done and I been talking to the gents @ miniworx in Redondo Beach and the first thing they suggested was clearing the adaptations on the transmission and then scanning it for any issues, possibly a flush. Either way these guys know what they are talking about I called a shop in Irvine and the dude tried to tell me you can't service them and drive it till it fails. Amazing.

13. Julieacosta

Julieacosta New Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    #13 Julieacosta, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    I am having somewhat similar issues but I can't get over third gear at all. Strangely, I had no issues at all until I had my brakes done - as soon as I pulled out of the parking lot I realized it was REALLY screwed up!! The shop sent it to a Mini dealer and they say I need a whole new tranny ($9k!!). So 2 questions:

1) will clearing adaptations and changing fluid possibly fix this?
    2) is there any way doing the brake work could have caused a transmission issue? Electrical maybe?

One more thing - when I asked the Mini dealer what codes they got when they did the scan they say there were none how can they suggest any repairs with no codes??

Thanks for any advice!!
    Julie

14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I highly doubt the shop doing the brakes did anything to cause this problem. I sure would try the simple stuff first. Maybe a drain & refill of the fluid. What year is your MINI Julie?

Good luck & let us know if you find the cause of the problem.

Welcome to M/A!

15. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0

16. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I'm happy for you. :)

But I recommend you change your fluid now.

17. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    I'm about 8k from that. I'm not mechanically-minded, so am at the mercy of the mechanics.

18. Julieacosta

Julieacosta New Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Transmission Issues after Brake work

Chuck,
    My Mini is an 06 with only 61k miles. I have only had it a year and have not changed the fluids (other than oil) and I'm not sure if/when it was ever changed. Could I be so lucky that a fluid change could fix this?? I would be very happy to find something smaller to fix, but I am at the mercy of the dealer right now and they say I need a new tranny.

Julie

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'd find a local MINI shop and get s second opinion first. Where are you located? We may be able to recommend a local shop.

20. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Julie I'd bet the transmission fluid has never been changed. You might try another dealer. Nathan knows where all the independent MINI shops are. Shoot him a private message if you want to keep your location hidden. He can point you in the correct direction.