Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen N16 Map controlled oil pump

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by ADOR, Jan 4, 2018.

1. ADOR

ADOR New Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Offshore, oilfield
    Northeast Louisiana
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    On the N16 engine I see it was given a Map Controlled oil pump. I know the purpose of this is to drop oil pressure in a controlled manner for better MPG. But I have been trying to find out how the system was set up to work.

Lets say the computer wouldn't care.

What would happen if you unplugged the computer control to it?

Would it just work like a regular oil pump, pumping at full pressure all the time?

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I dont know but I think unplugging it falls under "don't stick your hand in something you cant see in"

3. Rockster

Rockster New Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Almost certainly -- but no guarantees -- the pump would have to "fail" at full pressure.

Thus unplugging it would have it operating at full pressure and volume/flow, controlled by primarily engine RPMs and oil temperature.

Probably.

The vehicles -- loaners -- that I have driven that have an ECU (engine control unit) that dynamically controls oil pressure -- and for which there is an oil pressure display as RPMs rise as one accelerates the vehicle the oil pressure initially goes up as one would expect but if one then holds a steady throttle the oil pressure drops some.

When I talked to the dealer techs about the ECU controlled oil pump they reported observing the same behavior -- in fact long before I had a chance to drive a car so equipped and my observation agreed with theirs -- and added that at first it was a bit disconcerting because any fall in oil pressure with no corresponding drop in RPMs was generally not a good sign.

If you unplug the computer from the pump, and I am *not* recommending you do this, the ECU might turn on the CEL and store a code because it would recognize it was no longer able to control oil pressure.

Really my advice is to just accept the feature and enjoy it. Dynamically controlled oil pressure reduces parasitic engine losses and reduces the amount of heat the pump contributes to the oil's temperature. Takes no little amount of HP to run that oil pump at engine speed and have it at some point pumping 60 liters or thereabouts per minute at -- with no pressure control -- 60psi or higher.

4. ADOR

ADOR New Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Offshore, oilfield
    Northeast Louisiana
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have been researching a n12 to n16 swap is the main reason for asking.

I have a 08 regular mini with a bad engine. Been debating on full rebuild or replacement. Low mileage n16 engine is usually about half the price of a n12 that will most likely need the timing chain done before it goes into the car.

I have seen where lots of people have asked but no firm answer. So I have been researching the main differences. Been trying g to see if a n12 oil pump would bolt up as well to the n16 block as well. Other then the oil pump from my research it would be a bolt in.

5. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @ADOR - this is interesting.. would love to see this process. While I don't have the answer to the oil pump.. my gut says it would fail "full" open. Since you are doing a N12 to N16 engine swap the ECU wouldn't be looking for the the Map Controller. I think you are are really asking two questions:
    1) Do Map Controlled oil pumps fail full open?
    2) Will the N12 bolt up to the N16?
    Are you going to use the N12 ECU or N16 ECU... or stand alone?

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I thank if you change the ecu you will have some problems with the BCM. I believe it will need reprogram

7. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @ADOR - what did you find on this? You get it figured out?

8. LeslieEvans

LeslieEvans New Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We are also looking for similar answers ... we would like to swap out a N12B16A with a N16B16A and were wondering if there will be fitting issues and how this would affect the computer?

9. JOSEPH AUSTIN

JOSEPH AUSTIN New Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I did the swap in the March 2017. The engine came from 2015 Countryman with 2k miles on it. The heads are the same. The only change is the oil pump used a new one from the N12 and used the wiring harness from the old motor.
    You will allso need to change out the vacuum pump(there is a little difference with the hose) so you can place the oil pressure sender in the same location as it is on the N12. You will have no problem with the ECU. You want to find a motor with less than 10k on it because all the service was paid by MINI so you know it was serviced. My car is on it third motor and planning on building a full NA Race Motor for my next season of competition with the SCCA SOLO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Cannot wait to follow that thread!

Good info - thanks!