Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S The MINI Recall and how it will affect you

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Nathan, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Stolen with attributes to db and with a few little edits...

Click me for the original blog post on dbmini.us

Just in case you missed it on various sites, BMW is in the process of issuing a recall for all 2007 – 2011 R5x and R60 MINI Coopers with the turbo charged engine. The recall is for the auxiliary water pump, which is supposed to cool the turbo after the car is turned off. Problem is that pump doesn’t always work. As you can imagine, with catastrophic results.

Now, here’s the thing. db has actually read the entire recall notice from BMW, 3 times and it says, specifically, that dealers are not to release any MINIs on the lot without performing the recall repair. They also are not to hold customer cars or perform repairs on customer cars UNTIL a service bulletin has been drafted and released.

Idb says this because he knows you. He knows you already called your dealer and came close to having kittens because they didn’t know anything about it. Or, there wasn’t anything they could do to help you right now and couldn’t tell you why.

You will be notified about the recall and your MINI will be fixed. Just keep in mind that this recall is affecting approximately 90,000 MINIs in the US, and 235,000 worldwide, not just you. Now, if you aren’t the original owner of your MINI, you might not find out through normal channels. Stay tuned to Motoring Alliance because we will keep you updated with the latest information as it becomes available.

In the meantime, db recommends that you avoid parking your MINI in a garage or under any cover, just in case.

If your MINI Cooper S is older than 2007 (or 2009, I think, for your Cabrio owners), this does not affect you. This only affects MINIs with the turbo charged engine built between 2007 and 2011.

Again, this was mostly by db with a few edits by me.

2. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nathan

3. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    Great info, thanks Nathan! .... and of course db.

4. T8rChick

T8rChick Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Paying for new tires! The wheels were a deal!!!
    Oak Cliff, TX
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I did NOT have kittens... Rick won't let me have any more cats!

5. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Funny and sad at the same time. When I emailed MINI Canada with the link to the NHTSA they emailed back that the problem only affected US cars. This after I had already asked them that since the North American cars are all the same when can we expect the CDN recall notice? Later I emailed back the link that I found for Transport Canada and then the customer service rep basically said "oh". Talk about lame customer support.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I've canvased a few dealers parts departments where I have a known contact to see how they would be handling this.

As of right now there has not been an official communication to the dealers parts departments with the Part Number or availability of the water pump to be replaced.

Most of the parts department managers I spoke with will take the following route when it comes to this recall:

1. Determining how many potentially effected MINI's they have in their region.
    2. When the part is available to be ordered in the BMW/MINI Parts system they will start to order the water pump.
    3. Keep a supply on hand so that it is only 1 trip for the customer.

There was one dealer I spoke to that stated they will performing a 2 step operation.

1. Customer makes and appointment to come in, brings letter and a tech verifies the car is affected. The part is then ordered.
    2. When part for that service ticket is in stock the customer then makes a second appointment for the replacement.

In my opinion the dealers doing this via the 2nd method are fools. Sure the water pump is a spendy part but in the grand scheme of things a few of these on the shelf can't be skewing your parts budget that badly. Besides, MINI will be picking up the cost one the proper paperwork is submitted.

If you are one of the dealers bringing in the part on an as needed basis only after having the customer come in, well shame on you. Do the right thing and put some on the shelves.

7. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    So, if I don't receive my bulletin before my next scheduled service, I'll likely have to go in twice. Annoying, but I can live with that.

Is it the kind of thing that can be done while I wait for a few hours, or is it better to schedule a kind of overnight leaving thing?

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Allegedly it is supposed to take 1 hour to do the secondary water pump changeout.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    But I would still check with your dealer as there is that pesky notion that they overbook the techs.

10. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #10 Jason Montague, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    :cornut: I just happened to be at the dealer the day after Nathan(thank you) told us about this and they fully explained the drill. As soon as ALL MINI USA dealers have all the parts to fix all of the affected cars on their lot(mainly used, I refused to say 'preowned') and in their area, then MINI USA sends out the notices. When one gets THAT NOTICE, then call the dealer and they can replace the defective part. They won't put any one on a waiting list without the notice which apparently will have a code(and Secret Squirrel decoder ring I hope)that tells the dealer that the owner really has received an official notice. :Thumbsup:

Jason

This is completely redundant. I failed to see Nathan's above post before writing it

11. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    2 trips for a customer is rediculous, any such dealer has no appreciation for people's time and energy. As though we all have nothing better to do with our day then visit our car dealership :mad5:

12. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Welp, at least we aren't being asked to prove its defective.......:D

There will be a horde of MINI's showing up when the letters go out. I can just imagine the service manager only allowing one bay for use with this work.

13. tpowell3

tpowell3 New Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just had this pump replaced yesterday. It took them about 3 hours to complete the job. Here is my question. I have really noticed a performance issue. It's feels like my 2009 S has been de-tuned. It's smooth, but less power. Has any one else had these issues? Thanks.

14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Interesting... I wonder if they reset the computer. Maybe your MINI needs to learn how you drive all over again. This is just a swag on my part.

15. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Mine was changed last week, and I haven't noticed any difference in performance. 2008 MCS.

16. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, I haven't noticed any difference in mine either...

17. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    Mine is going in the shop for the pump on Friday. I'll be sure to post if I notice any changes.

18. avallent

avallent New Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Boston
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Cooper S is in for the recall here in Boston right now. Anybody else had theirs done yet? I did not get any notice from Mini or dealer. I just called them and asked. They checked their data base and said bring it in. They said it was a 3 hour job.

19. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    "You will be notified about the recall and your MINI will be fixed"

No Lemmings were injured in this pic....
    [​IMG]

Sooooo..... Has anyone recieved their "official" letter from MINI yet? I'm still waiting for mine....:D I kinda want to get my letter so I can frame it and hang it on my wall....:ihih:

20. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    No letter since they don't know I picked up the car a few weeks ago.

I just called MAG yesterday and made the appointment no problem.

Having mine done this wed.